Police removed names of leaders accused in Gujarat riots: ProsecutorMarch 13th, 2009 - 3:13 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, March 13 (IANS) Victims of the 2002 Gujarat riots had mentioned the names of
minister Maya Kodnani and Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader Jaydeep Patel in connection with the sectarian clashes to the probe agencies, but the state police removed their names from the reports, the prosecution has told the state high court.
Minister of State for Higher Education Kodnani and Patel are accused of leading mobs in the Naroda Patiya and Naroda Gaam localities here in 2002 - 106 people were killed in the these incidents alone.
Special Public Prosecutor J.M. Panchal told the high court Thursday that the riot victims had mentioned the name of Kodnani and Patel in the statements recorded by them with the investigative agencies.
The hearing of the case is to continue Friday. The court adjourned the proceedings at the end of the day Thursday as the lawyers representing Kodnani and Patel could not complete their arguments.
On Friday, the high court will hear an appeal filed by Supreme Court appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT) seeking cancellation of the anticipatory bail of the two in connection with the post-Godhra riot cases in Ahmedabad.
According to witnesses’ accounts, Kodnani was part of a mob that attacked members of the minority community in 2002.
- BJP lawmaker, 31 others get life terms for Naroda Patiya killings - Aug 31, 2012
- Naroda Patiya massacre: Ex-minister among 32 convicted (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- BJP legislator, 31 others get life terms for Naroda Patiya carnage (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Why shouldn't bail be cancelled, court asks Kodnani and Patel - Feb 24, 2009
- Kodnani conviction shows rule of law in Gujarat: BJP - Sep 01, 2012
- Gujarat riot victims hail life terms for accused - Aug 31, 2012
- Gujarat riots: Minister Kodnani's bail plea rejected - Mar 27, 2009
- Naroda witnesses happy with court verdict (With Image) - Aug 29, 2012
- Gujarat minister Kodnani surrenders - Mar 27, 2009
- BJP mum on Maya Kodnani's sentence - Aug 31, 2012
- Gujarat HC rejects Maya Kodnani's bail plea - Mar 27, 2009
- Court issues notice to two 2002 Gujarat riots accused - Apr 02, 2011
- Gujarat HC judge declines to hear plea against bail for Godhra accused - Feb 19, 2009
- Bajrangi said he felt like Rana Pratap after Naroda killings - Aug 29, 2012
- NGO files plea before Gujarat riots commission - May 14, 2010