Police R&D bureau gets new chiefFebruary 21st, 2008 - 4:46 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Feb 21 (IANS) Koshy Koshy, a 1973 batch Indian Police Service (IPS) officer, was Thursday appointed as the new chief of the Bureau of Police Research and Development (BPR&D). He will be replacing India’s first woman IPS officer Kiran Bedi. “Koshy Koshy has been appointed the new director general of the BPR&D. He will continue to hold the post of director general of the National Disaster Response Force and Civil Defence (NDRF&CD) as additional charge,” said a home ministry official.
The top post at BPR&D was lying vacant for nearly three months after Bedi, a 1972-batch IPS officer, submitted her voluntary retirement application Nov 15, saying she wanted to quit to pursue her “strong academic and social interests”.
After sitting over it for nearly one and a half months, the government in December last year finally accepted the voluntary retirement plea and relived Bedi of her duties.
Bedi, who was keen to take charge of the Delhi Police that she had served in various capacities, decided to hang up her uniform after the government appointed her junior, Y.S. Dadwal, to the post.
Koshy Koshy, setting aside the past controversies, told IANS that he would continue legacy and good work of Bedi.
“Bedi has done a tremendous job and I would like to take advantage of her work in a broader way for the benefit of the organisation,” said Koshy, who served in the BPR&D for seven-and-a-half-years.
“My focus would be to expand the training capacity of the police trainers in the nation through e-learning and other new projects,” he added.
The BPR&D was set up on Aug 28, 1970 in furtherance of the Indian government’s plans to modernise various police forces.
- Koshy appointed as new director general of BPR&D - Feb 21, 2008
- A.S. Gill is new CRPF chief - Feb 05, 2009
- President's police medals given away - Dec 24, 2011
- K. Vijay Kumar appointed Director General of Central Reserve Police Force - Oct 04, 2010
- Y. S. Dadwal takes charge as Director General of Sashastra Seema Bal - Nov 11, 2010
- Odisha's new police chief assumes charge - Jul 06, 2012
- Neeraj Kumar is new Delhi Police chief (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Dinesh Reddy Andhra's new police chief - Jun 30, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh police officer questioned for filing suit - Jul 29, 2011
- Pranay Sahaya appointed to cabinet secretariat - May 08, 2011
- New units to tackle human trafficking - May 12, 2011
- Subhash Joshi appointed NSG chief - May 01, 2012
- Chadha is special secretary internal security - Jan 02, 2012
- Himachal police chief retires (Lead) - Jun 30, 2010
- Himachal police chief retires - Jun 30, 2010