Police probing ‘parcel bomb’ case in MaduraiAugust 4th, 2012 - 6:27 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Aug 4 (IANS) Police are investigating the case of ‘parcel bomb’ containing two plastic lunch boxes, a timer, electric wires and a packet of ammonia delivered by an unidentified person at a shop in Madurai Friday night.
According to Tamil Nadu Police, a youth came to KLK Complex in Madurai to deliver a parcel for Jamal and Umar running a business outlet there.
Finding the outlet closed, the person approached the neighbouring outlet and left the parcel there for delivery to Jamal and Umar.
On Saturday, Umar, after receiving the parcel, opened it to find timers, batteries, plastic lunch boxes, two switches and jute rope.
Shocked at the contents, he informed the police who seized the parcel and deactivated the timer.
The police are investigating the case since Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi was initially expected to participate in a function in Madurai Friday. The visit was later cancelled.
- No explosives found in suspicious package in Indonesian resort island - Mar 22, 2011
- Deliveryman jailed for taking half of drugs in parcel - Feb 15, 2012
- One dead, one injured in explosion in East Java, Indonesia - Mar 25, 2011
- Two 1993 Jaipur blast accused jailed - Apr 24, 2012
- CBI probe demanded in another Gujarat shootout case - Apr 01, 2011
- Final hearing in another staged shootout case begins - Jul 30, 2010
- Fresh gas leakage from Bengal factory triggers panic - Jan 01, 2011
- Cash-in-bag scam: Ex-judge told to appear in trial court - Aug 19, 2011
- Two arrested for planting bomb on Advani's yatra route - Nov 01, 2011
- Ex-judge gets bail in cash-in-bag case - Aug 27, 2011
- Go ahead for mandatory use of jute in packaging food grains - Nov 16, 2011
- Woman's body parcelled from Delhi, found in Rajasthan - Apr 08, 2011
- Jayalalithaa praises joint effort to defuse bomb - Oct 29, 2011
- Parcel bomb delivery boy's sketch being prepared: police - Apr 14, 2010
- Pune blasts: Police still to identify perpetrators, detain four (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
Tags: ammonia, batteries, chennai, chief minister, electric wires, friday night, gujarat, jamal, jute rope, lunch boxes, madurai, narendra modi, parcel bomb, plastic lunch, running a business, switches, timer, umar, unidentified person