Police probing escape of Bangladeshi undertrialsAugust 29th, 2012 - 4:05 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 29 (IANS) The police have launched a probe into the escape of two Bangladeshi undertrials booked for several offences, including dacoity, from Presidency Central Correctional Home here, an officer said Wednesday.
The jail authorities initially did not accept that the two inmates, Mohammad Sabuj and Mohammad Ali Ahmed, had escaped. The two had gone missing Tuesday afternoon.
“Two inmates have reportedly escaped. We are probing the matter. Different people have been saying different things about the escape. We cannot comment until the probe is complete,” Inspector General of Correctional Services Ranvir Kumar said.
“The two were habitual burglars quite adept at scaling walls,” Kumar said.
A team of Kolkata Police along with Kumar visited the jail Wednesday.
The two fugitives are in their early 20s. They were arrested in May this year.
Presidency Central Correctional Home is among the most high-security prisons in the state. Several Maoists and notorious gangsters are lodged in it.
- 108 jailbirds clear secondary exams in Bengal - May 29, 2012
- Euro 2012 madness reaches Bengal prison cells - Jun 13, 2012
- Court slams failure to weed out Bangladeshi migrants - Aug 10, 2012
- Jailor shot at, escapes unhurt - Jul 27, 2012
- Need bed, newspapers in jail, AMRI directors tell court - Jan 18, 2012
- 'Sholay' scene enacted in Gurdaspur Central Jail - Mar 19, 2012
- Kolkata prison first to house permanent art gallery - Feb 19, 2012
- Three inmates flee Tripura jail - Sep 05, 2011
- Commoners to tour Bengal jails, mingle with convicts - Dec 16, 2010
- Nine prisoners escape in Meerut jail break - Jul 20, 2010
- First art workshop outside prison for Alipore jail inmates - Feb 21, 2012
- 70 percent Tihar inmates are undertrials (Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- 70 percent Tihar inmates are undertrials (Second Lead, correcting figure in para 3) - Jan 31, 2012
- Five Maoists among 82 prisoners writing Bengal board exams - Feb 23, 2011
- Bengal to release 37 Bangladeshi prisoners Tuesday - Mar 07, 2011
Tags: ahmed, burglars, dacoity, different things, fugitives, high security, inmates, inspector general, jail authorities, maoists, mohammad ali, notorious gangsters, presidency, security prisons, tuesday afternoon