Police probe racial gesture by Liverpool fanJanuary 29th, 2012 - 9:19 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 29 (IANS) Liverpool might have knocked out Manchester United out of the FA Cup but the club is in the news for all the wrong reasons. Police have launched an investigation into alleged racist gesture made by a Liverpool fan during the the match.
Following the 2-1 victory for Liverpool at Anfield, police confirmed they were investigating the alleged monkey gesture captured on TV footage. A number of complaints were made after the image was put on various social networking websites.
Patrice Evra, who became embroiled in the row that led to Luis Suarez being found guilty of racially abusing the United defender in the 1-1 draw Oct 15, was booed loudly every time he touched the ball during the Cup tie Saturday.
“We can confirm that a 59-year-old man from North Wales has been arrested following an alleged incident. The man has been taken to a police station and will be questioned by officers. Merseyside Police would like to thank North Wales Police and Liverpool Football Club for their assistance with this matter,” Merseyside police said in a statement.
Before the match, the stadium announcer warned supporters that racist behaviour would not be tolerated.
Speaking after the game, match commander Chief Superintendent Jon Ward said: “I would like to thank the majority of fans for their behaviour and cooperation. We knew this would be a busy operation, and most fans can be proud that they acted as ambassadors for their cities and their clubs.”
- Luis Suarez charged by FA for racial abuse - Nov 17, 2011
- PSG eyeing Liverpool's Suarez - Feb 16, 2012
- Suarez slapped with fine and ban for obscene gesture - Dec 29, 2011
- Under fire, Suarez gets support from Uruguayan president - Feb 17, 2012
- Liverpool striker Suarez banned for 8 games - Dec 21, 2011
- Sturridge subjected to racial chants in Napoli - Feb 21, 2012
- Terry facing criminal charges over alleged racial slurs - Dec 22, 2011
- Chelsea says no to Terry T-shirts - Dec 26, 2011
- Liverpool deserves to be struggling: Michael Owen - Jan 11, 2011
- Footballers' association demands Blatter's resignation on racism comments - Nov 17, 2011
- Gerrard calls for patience from Liverpool fans - Apr 07, 2012
- Alan Hansen apologizes for his Luis Suarez's gaffe - Dec 22, 2011
- Liverpool sack manager Roy Hodgson, Dalglish returns - Jan 08, 2011
- Liverpool edge out City in Carling Cup - Jan 12, 2012
- Young Aston Villa mascot mimics Suarez snub - Feb 14, 2012