‘Police officers being hounded for exposing Goa drug trade’February 1st, 2011 - 6:44 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Feb 1 (IANS) Indian Police Service (IPS) officers who had exposed the police-politician-drug mafia nexus are being hounded by the drug mafia, a ruling Congress legislator said Tuesday.Legislator Dayanand Narvekar also said that the beach shack where British teenager Scarlett Keeling was killed in 2008 was still operating, which reflected the might of the narcotics industry in Goa.
“The men who changed the scenario of drugs in Goa are DGP (Bhimsen) Bassi and (Superintendent Veenu) Bansal. Because they have exposed the police-politician-drug mafia nexus, they are sought to be made targets today,” Narvekar said.
Referring to the Curlies beach shack at Anjuna, near which holidaying teenager Scarlett Keeling was sexually assaulted and left to die by two beach shack hands in 2008, Narvekar said it was shocking that the beach shack had been allowed to continue.
“Curlies bar where Scarlett died How is the shack allowed to continue even after the Scarlett murder? Is this your war against drugs? Even today it continues to be sold,” the ruling party legislator asked of state Home Minister Ravi Naik, adding that the government should launch a war against drug trade in Goa.
Narvekar’s comments in the state assembly came on the heels of media reports that the Director General of Police (DGP) Bassi and three other IPS officers posted in Goa, have been completely sidelined by the state cadre police officers backed by the ruling political establishment.
While Bansal, an IPS officer, is currently posted in Arunachal Pradesh, DGP Bassi is in the process of seeking a transfer out of Goa.
- Goa drug mafia issue handed over to CBI, says home minister - Feb 02, 2011
- Goa chief minister's criticism of cop flayed by BJP - Jan 17, 2011
- Israelis, drugs and spy cam video wars in Goa (Letter from Goa) - Jan 12, 2011
- Goa drug nexus: Arunachal police officer may be summoned - Jan 20, 2011
- Goa is a good prospect for terrorists: Police chief - May 07, 2011
- 'Goa home minister mute spectator to police-drug nexus' - Dec 28, 2010
- CBI to set up special court in Goa - Jul 09, 2011
- Goa house din over allegation against home minister - Aug 03, 2010
- RTI activist alleges threat by Goa minister, police - Jan 24, 2011
- Goa minister accuses BJP leaders of sheltering drug trade - Jan 29, 2011
- Goa is not Colombia when it comes to drugs: Police chief - May 10, 2011
- Scarlett Keeling murder retold on 'Anjuna Beach' - Jul 02, 2011
- Police helped Israeli drug dealer escape: Goa opposition - Mar 31, 2011
- Kamat calls for report on Goa police-politician-drug mafia nexus - Jan 12, 2011
- Goa home minister, son linked to drug mafia: Scarlett's mother - Aug 02, 2010
Tags: anjuna, arunachal pradesh, british teenager, dgp, director general, goa, home minister, indian police service, ips officer, legislator, mafia, narcotics, nexus, panaji, police officers, political establishment, politician, ravi, ruling party, state assembly