Police ‘no’ to fast, says Team Hazare, to protest (Lead)June 7th, 2011 - 2:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 7 (IANS) An associate of Anna Hazare Tuesday announced they would hold a protest here Wednesday after claiming police had denied permission to the Gandhian to fast against corruption.
Calling the police action “arbitrary”, Arvind Kejriwal told reporters that Hazare and his supporters would hold a peaceful protest in the heart of the capital nevertheless.
“Anna Hazare has given a call for prayers and fasting. How can prayers and fasting pose law and order problems?” he asked, adding that police had cited law and order as the reason for denying permission for the Wednesday hunger strike near the Jantar Mantar monument.
Kejriwal said that Team Hazare, who he described as civil society representatives, would assemble Wednesday against the police decision and court arrest if necessary.
“Anna Hazare is 73 years old. He is a man of peace,” he said, calling upon people to lend their support to Wedneday’s protest. “The government ought to explain what threat does Anna Hazare pose.”
Kejriwal said the government was behaving “as if they have the right to be corrupt and if anyone protests, they would either be crushed” or made to face legal orders banning the assembly of five or more people.
Delhi Police imposed the orders Sunday in the New Delhi district — the heart of the capital — as they cleared the Ramlila ground of yoga guru Ramdev, who too was fasting against corruption, and his supporters.
- Hazare refused permission to fast - Jun 07, 2011
- Kejriwal hits out at restrictions on Hazare's fast - Aug 15, 2011
- No police permission yet, but Hazare's fast on (Second Lead) - Jun 07, 2011
- Police say 'no' to Hazare fast (Lead) - Aug 15, 2011
- Peasants' group backs Hazare - Aug 15, 2011
- Team Anna launches fast, targets Pranab, PM (Roundup) - Jul 25, 2012
- Activists condemn Hazare arrest - Aug 16, 2011
- Team Anna to fast at Rajghat, slams government (Third Lead) - Jun 07, 2011
- Team Anna hardens stand, cops want them hospitalised (Roundup) - Aug 01, 2012
- Team Anna begins indefinite fast for a stringent Lokpal (Second Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Bollywood condemns Hazare's detention - Aug 16, 2011
- Team Anna angry PM has not settled police curbs - Aug 14, 2011
- Police mum on Hazare request for fast - Aug 01, 2011
- Indian activist slams police restrictions on his anti-corruption fast - Aug 14, 2011
- `Anna detained for wanting to defy prohibitory order' - Aug 16, 2011
Tags: anna hazare, arvind kejriwal, corruption, delhi police, gandhian, guru ramdev, heart, hunger strike, jantar mantar, law and order, man of peace, New Delhi, peaceful protest, police action, prayers, protests, society representatives, yoga guru