Police mum on Hazare request for fastAugust 1st, 2011 - 4:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 1 (IANS) Gandhian Anna Hazare Monday said police has not indicated whether or not he can hold a hunger strike against corruption at the Jantar Mantar here from Aug 16.
“We sent an application to the police commissioner seeking permission for the fast but have got no response. There has been no formal letter denying us permission, from anyone,” Hazare told reporters here.
Hazare’s team member and activist Arvind Kejriwal added: “Until now we have not got any rejection letter. They (police) asked for clarifications, we gave them. As of now we are going ahead with our fast.”
Delhi Police Thursday said prohibitory orders banning any gathering of five or more people will be imposed in places of Delhi, including Jantar Mantar area, during the monsoon session of parliament that began Monday.
The curbs were Friday withdrawn from Jantar Mantar and India Gate areas.
“If they don’t let us sit on fast, I will go to jail,” Hazare said. “This is India’s second struggle for freedom and I will fight against corruption till my last breath.”
Dissatisfied with the government version of the anti-graft Lokpal bill, Hazare has decided to go on fast from Aug 16.
The anti-corruption crusader went on a 97-hour fast in April at Jantar Mantar demanding a strong anti-graft Lokpal bill.
He also sat on a one-day token fast June 8 at Rajghat, the memorial to Mahatma Gandhi, to denounce the police crackdown on yoga guru Baba Ramdev’s anti-corruption protest in June.
- Hazare writes open letter to parliamentarians - Aug 02, 2011
- Anna should not fast frequently: Doctor - Jun 08, 2011
- Team Anna denied permission to protest at Jantar Mantar - Aug 02, 2011
- Anna breaks one-day token fast - Mar 25, 2012
- Team Anna shifts protest venue to Rajghat - Jun 07, 2011
- Team Anna denied permission to hold protest at Jantar Mantar (Lead) - Aug 02, 2011
- People in Sibal's constituency want Jan Lokpal bill: Kejriwal (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- Prohibitory orders to be imposed ahead of Anna fast - Jul 29, 2011
- Tight security planned for Hazare's fast Sunday - Dec 10, 2011
- Ready to go to jail: Anna Hazare - Jul 31, 2011
- Ralegan-Siddhi villagers back Hazare - Jul 29, 2012
- Team Anna to fast at Rajghat, slams government (Third Lead) - Jun 07, 2011
- Security beefed up at Hazare's fast venue - Aug 02, 2012
- Anna Hazare calls for nation-wide fast - Apr 01, 2011
- Hazare's fast enters fourth day - Aug 01, 2012
Tags: anna hazare, anti graft, arvind kejriwal, curbs, delhi police, formal letter, gandhian, government version, hunger strike, india gate, jantar mantar, last breath, mahatma gandhi, monsoon session, police commissioner, police crackdown, rajghat, ramdev, rejection letter, yoga guru