Police may record statements of Shano’s classmatesApril 26th, 2009 - 11:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 26 (IANS) Delhi Police may record statements of classmates of Shano Khan, who died after allegedly being meted out corporal punishment by her teacher, to establish the circumstances that led to the death of the Class 2 student.
“Days have passed since the incident took place, students would have come out of the initial shock now. Their help is quite necessary in cracking the case,” a police officer said.
“Though other students have started coming to school, students of Shano’s class are yet to join the school. We are waiting to establish what exactly took place with Shano in the school when the incident took place,” the officer said.
Shano, a Class 2 student, slipped into coma April 15, a day after her teacher Manju allegedly beat her for failing to recite the English alphabets and forced her to crouch down in the hot sun for more than an hour.
A student of a Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) school in northwestern Delhi, Shano was shifted to the Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Narayan Hospital after her condition deteriorated. She died April 17.
The police have already registered a case against the teacher for negligence but she has not been arrested yet. The autopsy report of the girl hinted that she could have died due to an epileptic attack.
Meanwhile, the accused teacher, Manju, has pleaded innocence stating that she never tortured the girl or in fact any other child.
- Civic agency awaiting schoolgirl's viscera report to finish probe - Apr 27, 2009
- Corporal punishment death: autopsy hints at epilepsy - Apr 24, 2009
- Muslim organisation adopts family of dead schoolgirl - Apr 24, 2009
- Police to quiz classmates of corporal punishment victim - Apr 20, 2009
- Girl dies after punishment in school (Lead) - Apr 17, 2009
- Five days on, little progress in probing schoolgirl's death - Apr 21, 2009
- Punished girl in coma, no charges against teacher - Apr 17, 2009
- Delhi teacher missing after girl student's death - Apr 19, 2009
- Teacher charged with culpable homicide for schoolgirl's death - Apr 17, 2009
- Tortured schoolgirl's body handed over to parents; no arrest yet (Second Lead) - Apr 18, 2009
- Tortured schoolgirl's body handed over to parents; no arrest yet (Lead) - Apr 18, 2009
- Probe on, will take action against Shano Khan's teacher: Police - Apr 18, 2009
- Strict action needed to curb corporal punishment, say citizens - Apr 17, 2009
- Girl dies after punishment in school (Second Lead) - Apr 17, 2009
- 12 Andhra students hospitalized after corporal punishment - Apr 03, 2012