Police kept eyes closed during 1984 riots, CBI tells courtMarch 31st, 2012 - 10:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 31 (IANS) The CBI Saturday told a Delhi court hearing a case related to the 1984 anti-Sikh riots against Congress leader Sajjan Kumar that police kept their eyes closed during the carnage.
While advancing the final arguments, Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) counsel R.S. Cheema said: “This was a case where the police acted in a pre-planned manner and every policemen was keeping his eyes closed.”
Cheema told Additional Sessions Judge J.R. Aryan that 150 complaints were made regarding the riot related incidents but only five cases were registered by police.
He told court that police officials, who testified as defence witnesses, said in their statements that they had not seen anything during the riots.
The court asked the prosecutor to show any direct evidence against Sajjan Kumar and other five accused that they were instigating mob to kill the Sikhs.
The CBI prosecutor told the court that he would present some media reports April 2, the next date of hearing.
Sajjan Kumar and the other five accused are facing trial on the charge of inciting mobs against the Sikh community during the riots that had broken out after the assassination of then prime minister Indira Gandhi Oct 31, 1984.
- 1984 riots: CBI blames Sajjan Kumar for inciting mob - Apr 23, 2012
- Sajjan claims right to confront witness with proof - May 23, 2012
- Police recorded 1984 witnesses' statements in unfair manner: CBI - Apr 09, 2012
- 1984 riots: Sajjan Kumar's plea dismissed - Jun 02, 2012
- 'Sajjan's acquittal in other riot cases due to no witnesses' - Apr 03, 2012
- Sajjan Kumar accuses CBI of playing fraud - May 19, 2012
- 1984 riots: Court rejects Sajjan Kumar's plea (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Court seeks CBI's reply on Sajjan Kumar's plea - May 15, 2012
- Only three witnesses deposed against me: Sajjan Kumar - Aug 22, 2012
- Court allows Sajjan Kumar's plea in 1984 riots case - Aug 03, 2012
- Court observes two-minute silence for 1984 riots victims - Apr 03, 2012
- Rivals implicated me in 1984 riots case: Sajjan Kumar - Aug 14, 2012
- 1984 riots: No stay on Sajjan Kumar's trial - Jul 03, 2012
- Named in riots case after 16 years: Sajjan Kumar - Aug 14, 2012
- 1984 riots: Court seeks CBI reply on Sajjan Kumar's plea - Jun 13, 2012
Tags: anti sikh riots, aryan, carnage, cbi, central bureau of investigation, cheema, congress leader, defence witnesses, delhi court, direct evidence, indira gandhi, mobs, oct 31, police officials, policemen, prime minister indira, prosecutor, sajjan kumar, sikh community, sikhs