Police in China’s Xinjiang region gun down riotersJuly 18th, 2011 - 11:59 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, July 18 (IANS) Chinese police Monday afternoon gunned down several rioters who attacked a police station and killed four people in Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, Xinhua reported.
The incident took place in Hotan city after rioters broke into the police station shortly after 12 p.m. and assaulted the police. They held some under hostage and set fire to the station, said Ministry of Public Security.
A member of the armed police, a security personnel and two hostages were killed during the ordeal, the ministry said, adding that another security personnel was severely injured.
The police quickly converged on the scene and shot a number of rioters while freeing six hostages, the ministry said.
The national counter-terrorism office of China later dispatched a team to Xinjiang.
- Rioters attack Chinese police station, 4 killed - Jul 18, 2011
- Chinese police kill seven kidnappers, free hostages - Dec 29, 2011
- Plane hijacking attempt foiled in China - Jun 29, 2012
- Seven killed in China attack - Jul 31, 2011
- Nine killed in China bus-truck collision - Dec 10, 2011
- Four get death sentence for China terror attacks - Sep 15, 2011
- China to recruit 8,000 police officers - Jan 31, 2012
- 12 killed in China riots (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- Magnitude 6 quake hits China - Mar 09, 2012
- China's jade trade is off-limits to officials - May 07, 2012
- 50 Chinese kids 'rescued' from religious preachers - Jun 06, 2012
- China vows crackdown over Xinjiang attacks - Aug 02, 2011
- 12 killed in China riots - Feb 28, 2012
- 35 injured, 64,500 affected in China quake (Second Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- China gives solar-powered TVs to herdsmen - Nov 01, 2011
Tags: armed police, autonomous region, beijing, china, chinese police, counter terrorism, gun down, hostage, monday afternoon, ordeal, police station, public security, rioters, security personnel, set fire, six hostages, xinhua, xinjiang region