Police hunt for contractor in Posco violenceDecember 19th, 2011 - 2:04 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Dec 19 (IANS) Odisha Police are looking for a contractor to investigate his role in the Dec 14 clashes near the Posco steel plant site in which one person was killed, an official said Monday.
District Superintendent of Police S.S.D.D. Singh said a police team Sunday raided the house and office of Bapi Sarkhel, a contractor and trade union leader at the port town of Paradip in Jagatsinghpur district.
“We could not find him. Efforts are on to take him into custody for questioning,” Singh told IANS. He, however, said that no incriminating evidence was found during the searches.
Police have registered two cases against Sarkhel after allegations surfaced that he fomented trouble at the site and used goons to attack anti-Posco villagers.
The clashes erupted after hundreds of villagers did not allow workers to carry out the construction of a road in the region.
The 10-km coastal road will help authorities speed up work for the South Korean steel major Posco’s $12 billion project for a composite steel and power plant, the country’s largest foreign direct investment.
- Contractor held for Odisha violence over Posco - Dec 23, 2011
- Odisha ex-lawmaker held for Posco violence - Dec 24, 2011
- Clashes over road construction at Posco site, one killed - Dec 14, 2011
- Probe sought into killing near Posco project site - Dec 15, 2011
- Anti-Posco leader released on bail in Odisha - May 18, 2012
- Arrest of anti-Posco leader triggers tension - Nov 27, 2011
- MoEF expert team visits Posco plant site in Odisha - Aug 21, 2012
- Anti-POSCO leader held - Nov 26, 2011
- Expert team to submit report on Posco by October - Aug 23, 2012
- Posco seeks lifting of curbs on project site entry - Mar 02, 2012
- 'Withdraw cases against anti-POSCO villagers' - May 26, 2010
- Medha Patkar joins Anti-Posco protest - Jun 20, 2011
- Posco land takeover to resume Saturday, protest intensifies (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Odisha shifts top official over Posco clashes - Dec 16, 2011
- Anti-Posco stir hots up in Orissa - Jun 11, 2011
Tags: allegations, authorities, bapi, clashes, coastal road, composite steel, district superintendent, foreign direct investment, incriminating evidence, paradip, police hunt, police team, posco, posco steel, power plant, south korean, steel plant, trade union leader, violence