Police foil students’ plan to instal Bhagat Singh statueSeptember 26th, 2008 - 11:12 pm ICT by IANS
Hissar (Haryana), Sep 26 (IANS) The Haryana Police had to Friday seize of a statue of freedom fighter Bhagat Singh from a group of students after they tried to install it in a university campus here without prior permission.The police had to resort to mild cane charge after the students tried to force their entry into the Guru Jambeshwar University campus here.
Police officials said that the students were trying to install the statute of the martyr without seeking prior permission of either the university authorities or the state government.
The students, led by Sandeep Singh Chaudhary, wanted to install Bhagat Singh’s statute near the university shopping centre, close to the vice chancellor’s office.
Police officials said the students beat up university security guards and also clashed with other students.
University officials said they had utmost respect for the freedom fighter but could not allow a handful of students to vitiate the atmosphere of the university.
“They never sought permission to install the statute and the police had to intervene,” a university official said.
- Haryana university student alleges gang-rape - May 18, 2012
- Haryana enhances annuity for freedom fighters - Aug 15, 2011
- Congress apology sought for naming martyrs' castes in Sandesh - Apr 12, 2011
- Manpreet Badal to launch his party Sunday - Mar 26, 2011
- Tucked away in library, a slice of freedom struggle - Mar 24, 2011
- Estranged Badal kin quits as legislator, to launch party (Lead) - Mar 26, 2011
- Honda strike anniversary: Curbs on protests in Manesar - Jul 24, 2012
- Osmania University still tense, TRS MP arrested - Jan 08, 2011
- Violence in Osmania varsity as students clash with police - Jan 20, 2010
- Amitabh not allowed to promote film in Lucknow University - Jul 15, 2011
- Punjab government takes on Thapar University - Apr 24, 2012
- Thousands turn up for rallies at Bhagat Singh's village - Mar 23, 2011
- Police asked to book Gurgaon real estate company - Jun 08, 2012
- Bhagat Singh's niece fights 21-year legal battle - Jan 07, 2011
- Parliament remembers martyrs Bhagat Singh, Rajguru, Sukhdev (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011