Police find nun’s body in her convent’s tank (Lead)August 17th, 2011 - 7:40 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Aug 17 (IANS) A nun was found dead Wednesday morning inside a water tank at the convent where she resided in Kerala, police said.
Sister Mary Ancy, 45, was found dead at the Holy Spiritual Centre, located near the famed tourist destination of Kovalam, they said.
The body was discovered by the inmates of the convent, where Ancy lived with eight other nuns.
Police suspect foul play because the slabs that covered the water tank were found displaced.
A preliminary autopsy report said that the victim was conscious at the time of the drowning. It ruled out sexual assault.
All the inmates of the convent and the priests attached to the church that runs the convent were tightlipped on the episode.
Ancy hailed from Kottayam and was living in the convent for the past two decades. She was a teacher at the school run by the convent.
After the incident, the body was moved to the Thiruvananthapuram Medical College where the autopsy was conducted.
“A case of unnatural death has been registered and it is too premature to come to any conclusions as detailed investigations are going on,” said Deputy Commissioner of Police S. Ramesh Babu.
Police sources said Ancy was suffering from allergy and was not getting proper sleep for the past four days due to the ailment.
This case comes at a time when the trial in the 1992 Sister Abhaya murder case is progressing after two Christian priests and a nun were named accused. Abhaya was found dead in her convent at Kottayam.
- Police find nun's body in her convent - Aug 17, 2011
- Kerala nun's death: Police question 50 people - Aug 18, 2011
- Two lab officials to be charged in Kerala's Abhaya case - May 31, 2011
- Priest sex scandal shocks Poland - May 01, 2012
- Two Kerala priests held for nun's murder 16 years ago - Nov 19, 2008
- Court orders probe into cop's suicide in Abhaya case - Feb 04, 2010
- CBI files chargesheet in murder of Kerala nun - Jul 17, 2009
- CBI to conduct narco test on witnesses in Abhaya case - Jun 24, 2009
- Kerala sister's book runs into controversy - Aug 12, 2012
- Priest denied bail in Abhaya murder case - Dec 03, 2008
- Two priests, nun held for Sister Abhaya's murder 16 years ago (Lead) - Nov 19, 2008
- Abhaya case: Accused demands compensation from CBI - Dec 03, 2009
- Unholy goings-on cloud Kerala's churches - Dec 23, 2008
- Abhaya murder casts shadow on Sunday mass - Nov 23, 2008
- 13th CBI team begins Sister Abhaya murder probe - Nov 14, 2008
Tags: ailment, ancy, autopsy report, christian priests, commissioner of police, convent, deputy commissioner, kottayam, kovalam, police sources, police suspect foul play, preliminary autopsy, ramesh babu, report said that, s ramesh, sister abhaya murder case, sister mary, spiritual centre, unnatural death, water tank