Police drop rape charges against Goa cabinet minister’s kinJanuary 13th, 2009 - 12:00 am ICT by IANS
Panaji, Jan 12 (IANS) The Goa police Monday dropped charges against Warren Alemao, nephew of two cabinet ministers in the Goa government, while filing their chargesheet in the sensational rape of a German minor girl last year.The police have named only Rohit Monserrate, son of Education Minister Atanasio Monserrate, in the chargesheet accusing him of rape and obscenity. The police have already dropped charges against the education minister himself, who had been accused of abetting his 21-year-old son’s crime.
Warren, who was also accused in the crime, is nephew to the Alemao brothers, Churchill and Joaquim, both of whom are powerful political leaders and hold crucial cabinet portfolios.
The investigation has come under the scanner of the media, judiciary and civil society groups following accusations by the victim’s mother that the system was “conspiring to ensure that Rohit was not arrested”.
Rohit, who was accused of raping the 14-year-old German girl was arrested by the police after nearly a month after he reportedly went missing. The police, who had initially dithered from filing a complaint, took cognizance of the offence only after the German consul general intervened in the matter.
Inspector General of Police Kishen Kumar refused to comment on the issue.
- 'Tainted ministers like school children' - Dec 27, 2009
- Congress tries to make Goa polls a family matter (Goa Newsletter) - Jan 22, 2012
- Minister in trouble again, could alter poll pitch (Goa newsletter) - Feb 03, 2012
- Goa minister's nephew deposes in German minor's rape case - Oct 28, 2008
- Sack, arrest Goa minister Monserrate: BJP - Apr 08, 2011
- Goa minister's kin claims innocence in German girl's rape (Lead) - Oct 23, 2008
- Merciless policemen broke my elbow: German rape victim - Apr 28, 2009
- German rape victim deposes before magistrate - Nov 01, 2008
- Facing rape charge, Goa minister's son cries trial by media - Dec 10, 2008
- Two Goan ministers in police's 'goonda list' - Oct 24, 2008
- German girl's rape: Goa seeks consulate's help - Sep 15, 2010
- Minor German girl's rape: Goa minister's son surrenders (Lead) - Nov 04, 2008
- Teenage rape victim turns suicidal, abusive - Feb 17, 2010
- Complaint filed against Goa minister's kin in German girl rape - Oct 24, 2008
- 'Congress leader scuttled investigations into German girl's rape' - Nov 03, 2008