Police driver dies after consuming poison on dutyJune 28th, 2011 - 11:21 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, June 28 (IANS) A policeman in the Goa Police Crime Branch died in a hospital Tuesday, after consuming poison on duty on Friday, police said.
Superintendent of Police Arvind Gauns told IANS that the police had recorded the incident as an unnatural death and that a probe had been ordered into finding out as to what forced police constable Chandru Gawas, 33, to poison himself.
“We are trying to find out why he took the step,” Gauns said.
Police sources said that Chandru had already given a dying declaration from his hospital bed to a special judicial magistrate on Monday in which he had named three senior police officers from the Crime Branch, whom he held responsible for his state of affairs.
Sources also said that his supervisory officer at the Crime Branch had rejected his application for leave on the day he consumed the poison.
Chandru was at the Crime Branch head quarters at Dona Paula, on the outskirts of Panaji, when he consumed Rattol, a commercially sold rat poison.
- Goa cop booked for threatening magistrate - Jun 29, 2011
- Goa Police assure NCP leader of probe into cop's suicide - Jun 30, 2011
- Goa minister questioned by Crime Branch - Jun 04, 2010
- Goa court rejects former minister's anticipatory bail plea - Jun 10, 2010
- Boy shot dead by drunk Delhi cop (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Police free to arrest Pacheco: Court - Jul 07, 2010
- Pacheco to surrender Saturday: Lawyer - Jul 02, 2010
- Linked to companion's death, Goa tourism minister quits (Lead) - Jun 05, 2010
- Cop dies in guerrilla attack in Kashmir - Jul 03, 2012
- Former Goa tourism minister booked for culpable homocide (Lead) - Jun 10, 2010
- Goa minister resigns over companion's death (Lead) - Jun 05, 2010
- Police seek to declare former Goa minister absconder - Jul 02, 2010
- Guerrillas shoot dead Kashmir policeman, injure another (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Pacheco lover's mother burnt all her documents, clothes: Cops - Jun 09, 2010
- Mother of Pacheco's alleged lover arrested - Jul 16, 2010
Tags: arvind, chandru, crime branch, dona paula, dying declaration, goa police, head quarters, judicial magistrate, outskirts, police constable, police crime, police driver, police officers, police sources, policeman, rat poison, state of affairs, superintendent, supervisory officer, unnatural death