Police dog donates blood, saves colleagueOctober 7th, 2008 - 2:31 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Oct 7 (IANS) Three-year-old Bishan donated blood to save Jyoti, who was suffering from high fever and acute anaemia. Both are members of Bihar’s police dog squad. “It is true … Bishan donated blood to save Jyoti’s life. If blood was not given to her on time, she would have died,” Om Prakash, a trainer of police dogs, told IANS here Tuesday.
Both are labradors. Bishan is trained to catch criminals; Jyoti is an expert in locating explosives.
The two have become close friends now, said Om Prakash.
“This was not the case before Bishan donated blood,” he said. The trainer added that they would study the change in the behaviour of the animals.
Last week, Jyoti’s condition deteriorated after she stopped eating. She was taken to the state veterinary hospital where doctors said only a blood transfusion would save her life, officials in the Bihar police dog squad said.
The labrador’s haemoglobin level had dropped to 2.5 gm, as compared to the normal levels of 14-15 gm.
“Bishan was tested fit for donating blood by veterinarians and one unit of blood was procured to save Joyti,” an official said.
Bishan has now become the hero of the nearly one dozen-strong Bihar dog squad. “We will take special care of Bishan. He deserves the attention,” Om Prakash said.
- Trained Dog Can Smell Diabetic Emergencies! - Feb 08, 2011
- Awareness is key to prevent thalassemia - May 06, 2012
- UAE centre collects 3,500 units of blood - Apr 06, 2012
- Low Vitamin D in kids linked to anaemia - May 02, 2011
- Security goes to the dogs this I-Day - Aug 12, 2011
- 'Blood transfusion can raise heart attack risk' - Aug 03, 2010
- No funds for iron rich salt programme, says official - Apr 25, 2011
- Voluntary blood donation increases in Haryana - Jun 14, 2011
- Basu undergoes CT scan, remains critical (Second Lead) - Jan 12, 2010
- No change in Basu's brain status, still critical (Lead) - Jan 12, 2010
- Doctors save dog Daisy's life after she swallows a 2-inch needle - May 22, 2012
- Canines get ready to sniff out trouble at Games (With Images) - Aug 10, 2010
- Relatives create ruckus at Gurgaon's Artemis Hospital - Apr 24, 2012
- Dogs' wet licks may aid cancer research - Apr 15, 2010
- Outdated blood testing contributes to HIV among thalassemic kids - Jan 07, 2011