Police deny blame for Ramdev supporter’s deathSeptember 26th, 2011 - 11:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 26 (IANS) The Delhi Police Monday refuted allegations by the family of Raj Bala, the Baba Ramdev supporter who died here Monday, that her death was caused by a police baton charge on the yoga guru’s followers in June.
Special Commissioner of Police Dharmendra Kumar told reporters that Raj Bala, 51, was injured in a stampede and not in a police lathicharge.
He claimed the woman herself told doctors that she was injured in the stampede.
He also said that the medico-legal certificate issued by doctors on the basis of the victim’s statement too did not mention a police lathicharge.
Kumar said the medical report received from the G.B. Pant Hospital also stated that she was suffering from osteoporosis. “In this condition, bones become brittle. Even a small injury could become serious in this case,” he said.
Police also said that Raj Bala was named in a murder case in 2008, and was chargesheeted. She was also named in another police case in 1999 in Gurgaon.
Raj Bala, who slipped into coma after sustaining the injuries, died Monday after being hospitalised for 114 days.
She suffered a crippling spinal injury on the night of June 4-5 at the Ramlila ground here.
She was the most seriously injured among the 100 Ramdev supporters who suffered a variety of wounds after Delhi Police used batons and fired tear gas to disperse the thousands of supporters from the Ramlila ground.
- Four months on, woman crippled at Ramdev fast dies - Sep 26, 2011
- Chidambaram should answer on Raj Bala's death: BJP - Sep 27, 2011
- Woman injured in Ramdev crackdown 'very critical' (Lead) - Jun 11, 2011
- Ramdev supporter cremated in Haryana village - Sep 27, 2011
- Will help Raj Bala's family: Dikshit - Sep 26, 2011
- Beaten at Ramdev meet, Gurgaon woman struggles to live - Jun 06, 2011
- Injured Ramdev follower remains critical - Jul 14, 2011
- Delhi government offers support to Ramdev crackdown victim - Jun 07, 2011
- Woman injured at Ramlila ground very critical - Jun 14, 2011
- Death of Ramdev supporter proves brutality: BJP - Sep 26, 2011
- Didn't baton-charge Ramdev supporters: Delhi Police - Jun 17, 2011
- Condition of woman injured at Ramlila ground unchanged - Jun 20, 2011
- Injured Ramdev follower still critical - Jun 15, 2011
- Woman injured at Ramlila Ground still very critical - Jun 16, 2011
- Government had to act after Ramdev continued fast: Bansal - Jun 12, 2011
Tags: allegations, bala, bones, commissioner of police, delhi police, dharmendra, followers, hospitalised, medical report, murder case, New Delhi, osteoporosis, pant, police baton, police case, raj, stampede, tear gas, wounds, yoga guru