Police custody for army major caught taking bribesJune 20th, 2010 - 9:58 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 20 (IANS) A Mumbai court Sunday remanded to five days’ police custody an army officer who was arrested for allegedly accepting bribes for issuing medical certificates to prospective recruits.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) had Saturday nabbed Major Dipendra Bhushan, an army doctor posted at the Army Recruitment Office, Mumbai, for demanding a bribe of Rs.50,000 from a candidate aspiring to be a soldier.
He had demanded Rs.10,000 as the first installment. The money was to be delivered Saturday evening near the Chhatrapati Shivaji train terminus.
Following a complaint by the candidate, the CBI laid a trap and caught Major Bhushan and his driver, Bharat Oram, red-handed while accepting the bribe.
Police recovered another Rs.9,500 from the driver which he had taken from another candidate earlier in the day.
The duo confessed to the CBI that they had taken bribes from many other candidates for clearing them in the medical examination.
A search of the major’s residence in Colaba resulted in the recovery of Rs.109,000 and a list of 25 candidates who had appeared for the medical examination, besides details of a flat owned by him in Navi Mumbai.
CBI Joint Director Western Region Rishi Raj Singh said that it was “unfortunate” that this kind of corruption was prevalent in the army.
- Army major nabbed accepting bribe - Jun 20, 2010
- CBI busts recruitment racket in ordnance factory - Dec 29, 2011
- Assistant drug controller arrested for bribery - Jun 22, 2012
- Income Tax commissioner in Mumbai nabbed for graft - Jul 09, 2011
- Bank of India official arrested for bribery - Jul 07, 2012
- Arrested tax official has assets worth crores - Sep 07, 2011
- CBI arrests two PNB officials accepting bribe - Jul 29, 2012
- Two provident fund officials arrested for graft - Oct 05, 2011
- CBI arrests Punjab Police officer for graft (Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- Defence academy chief shifted over recruitment scam (Lead) - Jul 04, 2012
- CBI nabs 4 customs officials for taking bribe - Jun 06, 2012
- CBI arrests senior Revenue Intelligence official for graft - Mar 07, 2012
- Gold, silver brick seized from arrested tax official - Jul 16, 2011
- CBI busts railway recruitment scam, arrests two - Jan 02, 2012
- Cop, engineers, accountant caught taking bribes - Jul 21, 2012
Tags: army doctor, army officer, bribe, bribes, cbi, central bureau of investigation, chhatrapati shivaji, dipendra, first installment, medical certificates, medical examination, mumbai court, navi mumbai, oram, police custody, prospective recruits, raj singh, recruitment office, rs 50, train terminus