Police commando killed, rebel camp busted in MeghalayaJuly 24th, 2012 - 6:28 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, July 24 (IANS) A police commando was killed and another injured Tuesday in a fierce gunfight with Garo rebels in west Meghalaya, even as security forces busted a joint training camp for insurgents in the area, police said.
The gunfight broke out when Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) militants opened fire at a team of the Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) team backed by Combat Battalion for Resolute Action (CoBRA) commandos raiding their hideout at Nabokgre in the district.
“A CoBRA commando was killed while a sub-inspector was critically wounded in the gunbattle,” state police chief N. Ramachandran told IANS.
The wounded commando was flown to an army base hospital at Guwahati, while a hunt is on to trace the rebels who fled after the shootout, he added.
On Monday, security forces busted a joint training camp of the GNLA and the United Liberation Front of Asom at Memanang in East Garo Hills.
“We have busted the training camp of ULFA and GNLA (Monday) evening after a fierce gunbattle with the rebels in the foothills of Durama,” Additional Director General of Police (law and order) Rajiv Mehta told IANS.
- Police commando killed, rebel camp busted in Meghalaya (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- GNLA-ULFA camp busted in Meghalaya - Jul 24, 2012
- GNLA commander killed, camp busted in Meghalaya - Sep 14, 2012
- Garo rebel killed, camp busted - Feb 09, 2012
- Three Garo rebels surrender in Meghalaya - Jul 24, 2011
- Elite force to tackle Meghalaya rebels - Jul 10, 2011
- Garo rebels, security forces exchange fire in Meghalaya - Jul 30, 2012
- Garo militants abduct 2 Meghalaya engineers - Jan 25, 2012
- Kidnapped engineers untraced, GNLA chief escapes (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Meghalaya rebels set conditions for releasing official - Nov 23, 2011
- Meghalaya launches operation to rescue abducted exporter's son - Aug 31, 2012
- Commados mistakenly kill two Meghalaya cops - Jul 03, 2011
- Combing operations in Meghalaya Garo Hills intensified - Jun 16, 2011
- Meghalaya not to hold talks with terrorist group: Minister - Feb 07, 2012
- Meghalaya rebels set conditions for releasing official (Lead) - Nov 24, 2011
Tags: army base, cobra commando, combat battalion, commandos, east garo hills, gunfight, guwahati, hideout, national liberation army, police law, rajiv mehta, ramachandran, rebel camp, security forces, shillong, special weapons and tactics, swat team, ulfa, united liberation front, united liberation front of asom