Police cane clashing Congressmen, Narayan Rane’s supportersDecember 10th, 2008 - 11:34 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Dec 10 (IANS) The police caned clashing supporters of Mumbai Pradesh Youth Congress (MPYC) general secretary Nitesh Rane, son of suspended minister Narayan Rane, and some rival Congressmen at the party office here Wednesday evening.According to a party official, the incident occurred after Nitesh Rane held a media conference to announce his resignation along with 172 party workers from the MPYC.
During the conference, he criticized former chief minister Vilasrao Deshmukh, State party president Manikrao Thakre, city party chief Kripa Shankar Singh, central party leader Ahmed Patel and others for what he termed “injustice” meted out to his father.
His supporters also raised slogans in favour of Narayan Rane and against the other party leaders outside the party office - located opposite the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus - the target of Nov 26 terror attacks.
Taking umbrage at the protests, a group of Congress workers clashed with the Nitesh Rane group, compelling the police to resort to a cane-charge to disperse the rival groups.
The agitated groups later dispersed from the scene without further disturbances.
Earlier this afternoon, Chief Minister Ashok Chavan was accorded a formal felicitation by the Mumbai Pradesh Congress Committee on his election to the top post.
- Rahul Gandhi assesses Congress' strength in Maharashtra - Apr 27, 2012
- Sonia inaugurates campaign in Maharashtra, recalls old bonds - Sep 14, 2009
- Not many choices before Congress to replace Ashok Chavan - Oct 31, 2010
- Maharashtra minister's son charged with attempted murder - Sep 24, 2010
- Maharashtra minister's son claims innocence, opposition seeks CBI probe - Sep 24, 2010
- Bal Thackeray, Uddhav thunder at Dussehra rally - Oct 18, 2010
- Maharashtra may ban controversial book on Gandhi - Mar 30, 2011
- BJP workers, cops clash at Jantar Mantar - Aug 09, 2011
- Sonia to select Mumbai, Maharashtra Congress chiefs - Sep 14, 2010
- High voltage Maharashtra municipal poll campaign ends - Feb 14, 2012
- Congress marks 'Quit India' movement's 70th anniversary - Aug 10, 2012
- Congress, NCP to hold seat-sharing talks Tuesday - Sep 15, 2009
- Several hurt as Odisha Congress protest turns violent - Sep 06, 2012
- Shiv Sena hits back at Narayan Rane for attacking Uddhav - Sep 25, 2010
- Food security bill to be brought soon: Sonia Gandhi - Oct 15, 2010