Police booth, bus set afire in Delhi (Lead)September 2nd, 2012 - 11:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 2 (IANS) A mob set a police booth and a DTC bus on fire here Sunday evening and police fired bullets in the air to control them, police said.
The incident took place around 7 p.m. in east Delhi after a biker was reportedly injured at a police check point at Mayur Vihar phase III.
“Two people were on the bike. They did not stop the vehicle at the check point when a traffic officer signalled. The policeman threw a stick at them and it hit the bikers who fell on the road. One of them got injured,” said a witness.
Police claimed that the bikers were stopped at the check point for not wearing helmets.
“They were drunk and when a traffic policeman tried to stop them. In their attempt to flee, their bike slipped and they fell on road. They also indulged in an argument with policemen,” said a police officer.
One of them received minor injuries and was rushed to Lal Bahadur Shastri hospital.
“In the meantime, a mob collected at the spot and started pelting stones at the police team. They also set a DTC (Delhi Transport Corporation) bus and police booth on fire,” said the officer.
Police said that they had to fire shots in the air to restrain the mob.
- Mob sets police booth, many vehicles afire in Delhi (Second Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- One dead, many injured in Delhi violence (Roundup) - Sep 03, 2012
- East Delhi violence under control - Sep 03, 2012
- East Delhi situation under control, 22 detained (Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Uneasy calm after Delhi violence, 22 detained (Third Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Man killed in east Delhi firing was family's sole provider - Sep 03, 2012
- Delhi cop robbed of seized bike by traffic violator - Jun 14, 2012
- Man crushed to death between two buses - May 22, 2012
- Shops shut in violence-hit east Delhi area; situation under control (Second Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Life back to normal in east Delhi, six more arrested - Sep 05, 2012
- 86 rogue bikers penalised in Delhi - May 14, 2012
- Bike thieves pay dearly for not wearing helmets - Dec 21, 2010
- Delhi's night riders stop-question-check, nab 90 criminals - Apr 20, 2011
- Checking traffic violations in Srinagar the way Mahatma Gandhi would have (Letter from Srinagar) (With image) - Sep 10, 2012
- Women two-wheeler riders may have to wear helmets - Jul 04, 2011
Tags: biker, bikers, bullets, east delhi, helmets, lal, minor injuries, mob, New Delhi, phase iii, police check point, police officer, police team, policemen, sunday evening, traffic officer, traffic policeman, transport corporation, witness