Police await second autopsy report in cop’s death caseFebruary 14th, 2009 - 10:07 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 14 (IANS) West Bengal Criminal Investigation Department (CID), investigating the death of a police officer, is yet to receive the second autopsy report, an official said here Saturday.
“We’ve not received the second autopsy report of Arindam Manna and I hope we’ll get it in the next couple of days,” state Additional Director General of CID Bhupinder Singh told IANS.
Following the furore over the recovery of Arindam Manna’s body next to railway tracks in Hooghly district, a second post-mortem examination was conducted at the Calcutta Medical College and Hospital Thursday.
Singh said the CID was looking into all the aspects of the case after allegations levelled by the family members of the victim against the police.
“We’ve to be very careful while probing the case,” said Singh, adding “It’s not possible to say whether it was a murder case.”
He said that sleuths had also recovered a SIM card Friday beside the railway tracks of Mankundu station where Manna was found dead.
“We’re now verifying everything - whether the SIM actually belonged to Manna or someone else. The CID has sent the SIM card to the forensic laboratory for detailed examination,” Singh said.
Manna had supervised the preparation of the inquest report following Muslim youth Rizwanur Rehman’s death.
Rizwanur’s body was found on the railway tracks between Bidhannagar and Dum Dum stations here in Sep 21, 2007.
Rizwanur, a 30-year-old graphic designer, was found dead barely a month after his marriage with Priyanka, the daughter of local industrialist Ashok Todi, who was firmly opposed to the match.
Todi, his brother Pradeep, brother-in-law Anil Saraogi and four senior city police officers - former Kolkata police deputy commissioner Ajoy Kumar, former assistant commissioner of police Sukanti Chakraborty, sub-inspector Krishnendu Das - and Rizwanur’s neighbour S.M. Moinuddin Pappu were subsequently accused of threatening and pressurising Rizwanur to annul his marriage with Priyanka and stay away from her.
- Probe team recovers dead cop's mobile phone, SIM card - Mar 02, 2009
- Rizwanur case: Kolkata court directs framing of suicide charges against Todi - Apr 21, 2011
- Mystery deepens over West Bengal police officer's death - Feb 13, 2009
- Rizwan case: Calcutta HC directs CBI to initiate fresh probe - May 18, 2010
- Rizwanur case: CBI moves Supreme Court, challenges Calcutta High Court's order - Sep 01, 2010
- Police officer probing Rizwanur death found dead - Feb 11, 2009
- Probe team visits dead West Bengal cop's office - Feb 17, 2009
- Rizwanur case: Supreme Court to decide on CBI probe - Mar 01, 2011
- Rizwanur case: Calcutta High Court to frame charges against Todi - Mar 21, 2011
- Supreme Court rejects reinvestigation in Rizwanur murder case - Mar 01, 2011
- Probe team to visit dead West Bengal cop's office Tuesday - Feb 16, 2009
- CBI prays for abetment to suicide in Rizwanur case - Mar 21, 2011
- Rizwan case: Supreme Court grants bail to key accused Ashok Todi, brother - Jan 16, 2009
- Rail guards, drivers questioned over West Bengal cop's death - Feb 18, 2009
- Cop probing Rizwan case dies mysteriously - Feb 11, 2009