Police arrest two nurses for death of infant in hospitalMarch 13th, 2008 - 9:54 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 13 (IANS) Two nurses of a government hospital were arrested Thursday for medical negligence that resulted in the death of a six-day-old girl inside an incubator. “We have arrested Renu Sherwat and Kanta Rani, both nursing staff of Bhagwan Mahavir hospital under section 304-A (culpable homicide not amounting to murder),” Deputy Commissioner of Police (Outer district) Sagarpreet Hooda told IANS.
“Doctors would be arrested only after their negligence is established,” Hooda added.
On Wednesday the infant was burnt to death inside an incubator before her mother, sleeping in the next ward, could reach her.
According to Ashok Dang, the medical superintendent of Bhagwan Mahavir hospital in Pitampura, northwest Delhi, the baby was born prematurely on March 7.
“The baby had jaundice and was kept inside the warmer. We have suspended both the doctor and the attending nurse and have ordered an internal investigation,” Dang said.
Om Prakash, the father of the infant, had alleged that the hospital staff did not respond to his alarm that the incubator had caught fire due to a probable short-circuit. Om Prakash, an industrial labour and his wife Kamlesh, are residents of west Delhi.
- Six-day-old infant burnt alive in Delhi hospital - Mar 12, 2008
- 3 arrested for Punjab hospital fire tragedy - Feb 21, 2011
- Infant dies after removal from Punjab hospital incubator, probe ordered - Jul 26, 2012
- Action against Punjab health officials for infant's death - Aug 17, 2012
- Bengal government orders inquiry into crib deaths - May 24, 2012
- Bengal hospital says 12 crib deaths 'normal' - Oct 27, 2011
- Kid's head stuck in cooker, rescued - May 10, 2011
- Andhra orders probe after seven infants die in hospital - Nov 16, 2009
- Uneasy calm in Bengal's biggest paediatric hospital - Jul 01, 2011
- 'Death of babies in Pakistan hospital fire shocking' - Jun 09, 2012
- Brit mum saves baby by refusing to end pregnancy on doctors' advice - Apr 11, 2011
- Two women held for stealing baby - Dec 30, 2011
- Bengal reports more crib deaths, seven dead in 24 hours - Jan 18, 2012
- Rat attack on patient: Action against two hospital employees - Jan 12, 2012
- Bengal hospital gives cat-bite jab to child instead of mother - Feb 07, 2012