Police arrest ninth accused in Rs.10 crore heistJanuary 18th, 2011 - 9:51 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Jan 18 (IANS) Sleuths from the crime branch of Chandigarh police Tuesday arrested another accused in a jewellery heist of over Rs.10 crore ($2.2 million) that rocked the union territory last week.According to the police the latest arrested was Harjinder Singh alias Jonty, a resident of Jalalabad town in Ferozepur district of Punjab, some 250 km from here.
In what is considered to be the biggest heist in Chandigarh’s history, a gang of 12 men dressed in police uniforms looted jewellery worth over Rs.10 crore from the Tanishq showroom in Manimajra town last Wednesday.
Eight people were arrested Saturday by Chandigarh Police in coordination with Delhi Police from different parts of Delhi and Uttar Pradesh.
All the eight arrested are in police remand here till Jan 24.
“Harjinder Singh used to work as a driver. He will be brought to Chandigarh from Jalalabad. We are trailing the remaining three accused,” Naunihal Singh, senior superintendent of police in Chandigarh, told reporters.
He added: “The interrogation of the arrested accused is continuing. Police have recovered the entire stolen jewellery and sealed it in the presence of the owner of Tanishq showroom. Its tally work is on.”
- One more arrested in jewellery heist - Mar 24, 2011
- Chandigarh jewellers asked to install security systems - Jan 23, 2011
- Rs.100 mn robbery in Chandigarh jewellery store (Second Lead) - Jan 13, 2011
- Posing as cops, miscreants loot jewellery showroom (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Two held in Delhi, one in Ghaziabad for Chandigarh heist - Jan 16, 2011
- Posing as cops, miscreants loot jewellery showroom - Jan 12, 2011
- Eight held in Delhi, Ghaziabad for Rs.10 crore Chandigarh heist (Lead) - Jan 16, 2011
- Dacoity accused attempts suicide in lock-up - Jan 21, 2011
- After heist, Chandigarh banks told to install police alarms - Jan 13, 2011
- Rs.20 lakh looted from car showroom, guard murdered - Jan 17, 2011
- Punjab Congress leader held for immoral activities - Jun 10, 2012
- Armed men loot Rs.18 lakh from house in Haryana - May 05, 2011
- Jewellery heist and 40 thieves! Did tribal gang do it? - Oct 18, 2010
- Chandigarh police crack down on sugar hoarders - Nov 05, 2010
- Four students killed, 15 injured as train rams autorickshaw - Jan 15, 2011
Tags: 12 men, alias, biggest heist, chandigarh police, coordination, crime branch, delhi police, harjinder singh, interrogation, jalalabad, jan 24, police arrest, police uniforms, presence, sleuths, superintendent, tally work, union territory