Police accuse MCD of delaying probe into ghost staff caseAugust 25th, 2010 - 11:17 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 25 (IANS) Delhi Police Wednesday informed the Delhi High Court that the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) was not co-operating with them in a case related to alleged ghost employees on its rolls.
Standing counsel Najmi Waziri informed a division bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justice Manmohan that documents pertaining to the scam have not been supplied to police by the MCD.
He also said that investigation into the case would be carried out by Special Police Commissioner (Vigilance) S.K. Jain.
In November last year, following an actual verification through the biometric system MCD found out that 22,853 gardeners and sweepers were drawing salaries without working at all.
The bench directed the chief vigilance officer of MCD and an official from the company which installed the biometric system in MCD office to appear before police every Saturday.
The court also directed them to fix dates for verification of documents pertaining to 22,853 ghost employees.
The court was hearing a public interest litigation filed by Jagrook Welfare Society, an NGO, through counsel C.S. Parashar, seeking an independent probe into the scam.
- Two cases filed over MCD's ghost staff, court told - Oct 27, 2010
- Court orders police probe into MCD's 'ghost' employees (Lead) - May 26, 2010
- High court raps MCD for concealing facts on ghost staff - May 12, 2010
- Court directs police to probe MCD's 'ghost' employees scam - May 26, 2010
- 168 'ghost' MCD workers detected, police tell court (Lead) - Jan 20, 2011
- MCD deflects blame on ghost employees fiasco - Jun 02, 2011
- Chandigarh man on MCD rolls surprises court (Lead) - Nov 09, 2011
- Police give report to court on MCD's ghost employees - Jan 19, 2011
- MCD 'ghost' employees: court demands inquiry report - Feb 24, 2010
- Court issues notice to MCD over 'ghost' employees - Feb 10, 2010
- Derogatory word to be removed from caste certificates - Jul 27, 2011
- Set up committee to prevent waterlogging, says high court - Aug 28, 2012
- Court orders pesticides tests on veggies in Delhi - Mar 09, 2011
- MCD has 80,000 street cleaners, but how many work? (To go with Games knock door, but litter-free Delhi a distant dream) - Jun 22, 2010
- I-cards, welfare fund proposed for lawyers' clerks - Apr 07, 2011
Tags: biometric system, chief justice, delhi high court, delhi police, dipak, division bench, gardeners, independent probe, manmohan, misra, municipal corporation of delhi, municipal corporation of delhi mcd, ngo, police commissioner, public interest litigation, s k jain, special police, sweepers, vigilance, welfare society