Pole with Rs.4mn cash cache detained at Chennai airportSeptember 8th, 2008 - 9:01 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Sep 8 (IANS) A 35-year-old Polish national was sent to judicial custody Monday for possessing unexplained foreign currency worth Rs.4 million, customs sources said here. “The suspect, Piotr Gimik, was flying to Singapore on an Air India flight. After the air intelligence unit found the currency concealed in newspapers in his hand luggage, he admitted that he was a courier for smugglers,” an official release said.
“Though possession of foreign currency by a European national in India is not an offence, concealment led to the questioning and resulted in admission of guilt by Gimik, late Sunday. A magistrate jailed him today (Monday),” a senior customs official said on condition of anonymity.
Customs sources told IANS that during the last one year contraband and currency worth Rs.160 million have been seized - a 5 time jump over the previous year.
During the last two months, currency, electronic goods and drugs worth Rs.70 million have been seized at Chennai airport.
- Three smugglers held with drugs, fake currency in Amritsar - Jul 04, 2012
- Indian soldier held with drugs - May 17, 2011
- Heroine worth Rs. 5 cr., fake currency notes worth Rs. 9.5 lakh recovered - Aug 21, 2010
- 75 kg of heroin seized in Punjab - Apr 06, 2011
- Chennai cops bust drug-smuggling attempt at airport - May 14, 2010
- Heroin worth Rs.200 mn seized in Punjab - Sep 01, 2009
- 10 tonnes of hashish seized in Karachi - Nov 16, 2011
- 20 kg hashish seized at Delhi airport - Oct 21, 2009
- Cocaine worth Rs.50 million seized in Pune - Oct 12, 2010
- BSF seizes 12 kg of heroin on Punjab border - Apr 24, 2012
- Heroin worth over Rs.5 crore seized, one held - Oct 20, 2010
- Smuggler arrested with 14 kg heroin in Punjab - Jan 11, 2011
- Police seize 2 kg heroin, 1 arrested - Sep 15, 2010
- Heroin worth millions seized in Punjab - Mar 19, 2010
- African held with Rs.2 crore-worth cocaine at Delhi airport (Lead) - Jan 23, 2012