Poland releases Russian spy on paroleNovember 17th, 2011 - 6:15 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Nov 17 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Polish authorities Thursday released on parole a Russian national who was sentenced in 2010 to three years in prison for spying.
Russian businessman Tadeusz Juchniewicz was arrested in February 2009 after he had lived in Poland for 10 years. He pleaded not guilty to the spying charges. He was tried behind closed doors and was convicted as a Russian military sleeper agent, the Polish Press Agency said quoting court officials.
Investigators said he had since 2003 maintained regular contact with a Russian centre with the help of spying gadgets camouflaged as house utensils.
The decision to grant him parole was taken after he had already served more than two- thirds of his prison term.
- Russian faces jail for killing his rapist - May 11, 2012
- Russia jails military officer for spying for CIA - Feb 10, 2012
- Russian professors jailed for selling missile secrets to China - Jun 20, 2012
- Muslim woman sentenced in Russia over extremist article - Sep 13, 2012
- Seven Russian fans remain in Polish custody - Jul 03, 2012
- Wanted sex trafficker extradited to Russia - Mar 31, 2012
- Former Russian spy sentenced 25 years for helping U.S. - Jun 28, 2011
- Warsaw clashes instigated by locals: Polish ambassador - Jun 13, 2012
- Former Dutch pilot jailed for spying for Russia - Dec 15, 2011
- Russia warns citizens not to travel to Syria - Jun 21, 2012
- Russian officer commits suicide on n-submarine - Feb 13, 2012
- Russia calls on Poland to prevent more football violence - Jun 13, 2012
- Libya jails foreign mercenaries for helping Gaddafi - Jun 04, 2012
- Kaczynski's brother blasts Russian probe of plane crash - Jan 12, 2011
- Putin reminds Polish PM of football host responsibility - Jun 14, 2012
Tags: 10 years, closed doors, court officials, dg, investigators, moscow, poland, polish authorities, polish press agency, prison term, ria novosti, russian businessman, russian centre, russian spy, sleeper agent, spying gadgets, two thirds, utensils