PM’s wife hosts lunch for spouses of African leadersApril 8th, 2008 - 9:48 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 8 (IANS) As the African leaders discussed the future direction of India-Africa relations through their summit Tuesday, their spouses were treated to a sumptuous Indian lunch by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s wife Gursharan Kaur. The first ever India-Africa summit, which began here Tuesday, is being attended by leaders from 14 African countries. The leaders, including 10 heads of state, had a full day participating in the plenary session followed by lunch hosted by the prime minister and a retreat to talk informally.
Their spouses were hosted by Gursharan Kaur at the Taj Mansingh hotel where they were treated to a cultural programme and a feast of exotic dishes from all parts of India.
Later in the afternoon, they were scheduled to go for a bit of shopping, but most of the spouses decided to give it a miss and stay in their hotel rooms.
In the end, the wife of South African President Thabo Mbeki visited the Central Cottage Industries Emporium to shop for Indian artefacts.
Zanele Mbeki spent more than an hour at the government emporium, spending nearly Rs.50,000. “She bought some organza curtain cloth as well as some embroidered textiles,” said an official, who was there at the shopping expedition.
The emporium had stocked up with rare pieces of textiles from different parts of the country. Besides, it had set up live demonstration of Indian craftsmanship from Madhubani paintings to stone carving.
The leaders and their spouses were reunited at the formal banquet hosted by President Pratibha Patil in the evening, which was preceded by a cultural programme.
All leaders and their spouses will Wednesday visit Agra by a special aircraft to see the Taj Mahal.
- Gursharan Kaur attends dinner hosted by South Korea's first lady - Mar 26, 2012
- India to build 100 institutions in Africa for human development - Mar 19, 2012
- PM lands in Addis Ababa - May 23, 2011
- India pitches for greater development ties with Africa - Mar 19, 2012
- India seeks to jointly develop new markets with Africa (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Manmohan Singh, Medvedev hold their last summit (Postcard from Moscow) - Dec 18, 2011
- India-Africa business conclave starts Sunday - Mar 25, 2011
- India announces $5 bn aid for Africa, seeks support for UN reforms - May 24, 2011
- India to host Burundi's president next week - Sep 13, 2012
- India, African regional blocs discuss training institutes, projects - Nov 08, 2011
- India unveils $5 bn Africa surge, rejects race with China (Second Lead) - May 24, 2011
- Manmohan kicks off week of high-wire Africa diplomacy - May 22, 2011
- India unveils $5 bn Africa surge, seeks support for UN goals (Lead) - May 24, 2011
- Ethiopia to host second India-Africa summit - Feb 21, 2011
- India begins second summit with Africa - May 24, 2011