PM’s all-party meet on promotions quota put offMay 22nd, 2012 - 6:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 22 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s all-party meeting Wednesday to discuss the way forward on giving reservations in job promotions to the Scheduled Castes (SC) and the Scheduled Tribes (ST) has been postponed, said official sources.
The meeting will now be held sometime in the first week of June after the prime minister returns from his Myanmar trip May 26-28, said the sources.
The meeting was scheduled in the wake of the recent Supreme Court ruling that quashed reservation in promotions for the Scheduled Castes and Tribes employees in government jobs, given by the then Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) government in Uttar Pradesh headed by Mayawati.
While the BSP has now demanded a constitutional amendment to provide quota in promotions, its main political rival Samajwadi Party (SP), which rules the state at present, wants the Other Backward Classes (OBCs) also to be included in this promotions quota benefit.
Members of parliament from the SC and ST communities had earlier this month met the prime minister and demanded that the government should bring an amendment to the constitution or approach the apex court once again.
The issue assumes political significance as the presidential election is due in July and the government does not want to annoy either the Samajwadi Party or the BSP, whose support would be crucial to get the Congress nominee elected to the country’s top-most post.
- PM calls all-party meet May 23 over job quota - May 18, 2012
- Both Congress and BJP against quota in promotions bill: Mayawati - Sep 05, 2012
- PM hints at amendment bill for quota in job promotions (Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- All-party meeting on job promotion quota Aug 21 (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Cabinet nod for job promotion quotas; BJP, SP, BSP spar (Second Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- PM to head all-party meet on job promotion quota - Aug 21, 2012
- PM seeks solution to quota in job promotions - Aug 21, 2012
- All-party meeting on promotion quota Aug 21 - Aug 09, 2012
- SC order against promotion quotas rocks Lok Sabha - Aug 09, 2012
- Rajya Sabha adjourned over quotas in promotions - Aug 09, 2012
- Promotion quota bill in Rajya Sabha, SP, BSP lock horns (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- BJP to meet on reservation in promotions - Sep 04, 2012
- Cabinet approves bill for reservation in job promotions - Sep 04, 2012
- Parliament disrupted for 10th day, promotions quota bill likely Wednesday (Roundup) - Sep 04, 2012
- Mayawati demands constitution amendment for SC/ST quota (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
Tags: apex, apex court, bahujan samaj party, benefit members, castes, constitutional amendment, government jobs, manmohan, manmohan singh, Mayawati, members of parliament, New Delhi, political significance, presidential election, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, quota, recent supreme court, Samajwadi Party, supreme court ruling