PMK leader Guru arrested in Tamil Nadu(Lead)July 5th, 2008 - 11:08 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, July 5 (IANS) Controversial PMK leader J. Guru, also known as Kaduvetti Guru, was arrested on murder charges Saturday and was sent to Tiruchi central prison after being produced in court, police said. Guru was picked up from his residence in Kaduvetti, about 300 km south of Chennai. His judicial remand will last till July 18, when he will again be produced in court.
Guru has been arrested on charges of attempting to murder a former party worker who joined the AIADMK.
Hundreds of protesting PMK leaders including former union minister A.K. Moorthy were also arrested in several northern Tamil Nadu towns, including the capital.
Earlier, along with Guru, president of the Vanniyar Sangam, the caste group which forms the main vote bank of the PMK in northern Tamil Nadu districts eleven volunteers were arrested.
PMK founder S. Ramadoss and president G.K. Mani alleged the move was a political vendetta.
“It is a matter of shame that Guru has been arrested on trumped up charges. We will demonstrate peacefully demanding his release,” Ramadoss said during a media interaction in Tiruchi.
“Thousands of our innocent party colleagues have been unjustly arrested exposing a shameful police action,” Mani added.
Police reinforcements have been posted in PMK-dominated districts of Villupuram, Ariyalur and Perambalur, officials said.
The PMK was an alliance partner of the ruling DMK until mid-June, lending the M. Karunanidhi government outside support.
It was ousted from the DMK-led Democratic Progressive Alliance June 17 after top ruling party functionaries including ministers Arcot N. Veerasamy and Durai Murugan presented recorded evidence of inflammatory speeches by Guru against the governmemnt.
The PMK is a partner in the ruling United progressive Alliance government at the centre, along with the DMK.
- DMK-PMK in pact for Tamil Nadu elections (Lead) - Feb 18, 2011
- DMK-PMK in pact for Tamil Nadu elections - Feb 18, 2011
- PMK leader Guru, 11 supporters arrested - Jul 05, 2008
- DMK joins hands with PMK for Tamil Nadu assembly polls - Feb 18, 2011
- Ramadoss defends PMK colleague criticised by Karunanidhi - Jun 08, 2010
- Congress against PMK in DMK alliance - Feb 04, 2011
- DMK, Congress to conclude talks on identification of seats - Mar 11, 2011
- Karunanidhi, Stalin pick new constituencies - Mar 17, 2011
- PMK to review ties with DMK - Jul 02, 2011
- Question of PMK-DMK alliance doesn't arise now: Karunanidhi - Feb 02, 2011
- DMK dumps Congress for local body polls - Sep 15, 2011
- Won't sacrifice seats for Congress: PMK - Mar 08, 2011
- Mild tremors in parts of Tamil Nadu - Aug 12, 2011
- Yet to decide on joining DMK-led front: PMK - Jan 31, 2011
- PMK snaps ties with DMK, will lead own front - Jul 27, 2011