PMK leader detained under National Security ActJuly 10th, 2008 - 8:30 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, July 10 (IANS) Kaduvetti Guru, a prominent leader of the Pattali Makkal Katchi (PMK), was detained Thursday under the National Security Act, a police official here said. “It is a preventive detention due to the government’s apprehensions of violence by the accused,” Director General of Police K.P. Jain told IANS.
The detention necessitates Guru’s minimum jail term for a year.
PMK leadership was not available for comment.
Arrested on charges of attempting to murder an AIADMK functionary July 6, Guru was lodged in the Tiruchirappalli central prison.
Guru’s diatribe against the ruling DMK was the main cause for the PMK’s June 17 ouster from the Democratic Progressive Alliance - a political umbrella organisation led by Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi.
Guru, a former legislator, is one of the mainstays of Vanniyar Sangham - the main political caste-based outfit that is the power base of the PMK in northern districts of Tamil Nadu.
- Filing of nomination for TN, Puducherry and Kerala to end today - Mar 26, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi to address election rally in Puducherry - Apr 05, 2011
- PMK to be part of the DMK-Congress alliance in Tamil Nadu: - Jan 30, 2011
- DMK joins hands with PMK for Tamil Nadu assembly polls - Feb 18, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi to visit poll-bound Tamil Nadu, Puducherry - Apr 04, 2011
- Puducherry polls: Parties campaign door-to-door to woo voters - Mar 28, 2011
- PMK leader released from Tamil Nadu prison - Nov 30, 2008
- Karunanidhi to discuss seat-sharing with PM, Sonia - Jan 31, 2011
- DMK-PMK in pact for Tamil Nadu elections (Lead) - Feb 18, 2011
- Karunanidhi meets Prime Minister, discusses fishermen killings - Jan 31, 2011
- Another son rises in PMK - Jan 01, 2010
- Raja's arrest will not affect ties with DMK, says Congress spokesman - Feb 02, 2011
- Jail told not to reject outright pleas to visit PMK leader - Aug 06, 2008
- RJD, JD-U and Samajwadi party lose national party status - Jul 30, 2010
- AIADMK, CPI-M in talks on seat sharing - Feb 19, 2011