PM vows to cleanse politics of scourge of corruptionMay 28th, 2011 - 9:52 pm ICT by IANS
On Board Air India One, May 28 (IANS) With a spate of scams damaging the credibility of his government, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Saturday vowed to cleanse the Indian politics of the scourge of corruption but declined to comment on the case of 2G spectrum allocation, saying the matter is in court.
“As far as the 2G investigations are concerned, the CBI (Central Bureau of Investigation) is at work and the matter is in the court. It would not be proper for me to make any comments on the progress of the case,” the prime minister told reporters on board his special aircraft while returning from a six-day visit to Ethiopia and Tanzania.
“Corruption is something that concerns all citizens and I share the concern. There have been aberrations that have been brought up. We are very very sincere in our desire to curb corruption,” said the prime minister when asked whether the recent arrests in the 2G and the 2010 Commonwealth Games (CWG) related scams had restored the faith of the common man in the system.
“We are open to all new ideas. Whatever will help to clean Indian politics of the scourge of corruption will have full support of our government,” he said.
The United Progressive Alliance-II (UPA-II) has been rocked by a series of scandals ranging from alleged financial irregularities in hosting the 2010 CWG to allegations of selling second generation airwaves to select telecom companies at rock bottom prices.
A former UPA minister Andimuthu Raja and DMK MP Kanimozhi are in jail in connection with the 2G scam, and Congress’ high-profile MP Suresh Kalmadi is in custody for the alleged lapses in the conduct of the CWG.
- DMK is still our partner, says Manmohan Singh - May 28, 2011
- Scams, price rise tarnish UPA-II image - May 22, 2011
- UPA firm on anti-graft steps: Sonia Gandhi - May 22, 2011
- Committed to take corrective action on corruption: PM - May 22, 2011
- 'UPA-II report card to rebuff policy paralysis criticism' - May 19, 2012
- Kanimozhi: Multi-faceted person neck deep in mega scam - May 20, 2011
- Three years of UPA-II: Not much to celebrate - May 22, 2012
- Baalu lone DMK leader at UPA anniversary event - May 22, 2011
- Controversies mark UPA's second term (Timeline) (With Scams, price rise tarnish UPA-II image) - May 22, 2011
- UPA trying to curb voices against graft, says Joshi (Lead) - Aug 24, 2011
- Scams trigger stormy start to parliament winter session (Lead) - Nov 09, 2010
- DMK downsizes, BSP boycotts UPA function (Lead) - May 23, 2011
- Saddened by corruption, will initiate course correction: PM (Lead) - May 23, 2011
- Opposition parties ask PM to explain Maran fiasco (Lead) - Jul 07, 2011
- PM reiterates confidence in Chidambaram, says full term for UPA-II - Sep 28, 2011
Tags: 2010 commonwealth games, aberrations, air india, cbi, central bureau of investigation, common man, dmk, financial irregularities, indian politics, lapses, manmohan, manmohan singh, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, rock bottom prices, scourge, spectrum allocation, suresh kalmadi, telecom companies