PM to visit China in October to attend Asia-Europe MeetingSeptember 9th, 2008 - 8:27 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sept 9 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will go to China next month to attend the Asia-Europe Summit.Visiting Chinese foreign minister Yang Jiechie reiterated Beijing’s invitation to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for the Asia-Europe Meeting, better known by its acronym ASEM, when he called on him Monday.
The Asia-Europe Meeting is likely to have heads of state or government from 30-odd countries from the two continents.
The Summit-level meeting is slated for Oct 25 and 26 in Beijing and will allow the leaders to discuss important developments and issues in the world and evolve a position that can help them in dealing with them in close cooperation.
A senior Indian official told IANS that the Prime Minister will attend the meeting.
The confirmation about Manmohan Singh’s participation at ASEM puts to rest speculations in certain sections here that he may boycott the meet to register New Delhi’s protest over China’s “negative role” at the Nuclear Suppliers’ Group meeting recently in Vienna.
Speaking at a function in the city Tuesday afternoon, Yang said: ” We want the Prime Minister to come for the meeting and look forward to the valuable contribution that he can make at the Summit.”
The Chinese foreign minister’s remarks on the visit and many other high-level exchanges between the two sides, including one by President Pratibha Patil to Beijing next year, indicated that attempts are being made not to allow the Vienna incident cloud the bilateral relationship.
A big symposium is also being organised by Beijing towards the end of the year to commemorate the 20th anniversary of Rajiv Gandhi’s visit to China.
The 1988 visit by former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi is seen by a large number of people in the two countries as a historic journey that laid the groundwork for normalizing Sino-Indian relations.
- We can develop together: China tells India - Feb 08, 2012
- India to host ASEM foreign ministers' meet in 2013 - Jun 07, 2011
- Indian Navy ships in China next week, to expand strategic trust - Jun 07, 2012
- Amid Arunachal row, Chinese foreign minister heading to India - Feb 27, 2012
- India to push for IMF reforms, discuss Libya at ASEM meet - Jun 06, 2011
- Differences with India minor, says China - Jun 07, 2012
- Ahead of BRICS summit, Krishna to visit China - Feb 03, 2012
- Ahead of Hu's visit, India, China hold talks (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- India, China accelerate diplomatic engagement amid simmering tension - Oct 23, 2010
- 14 Tibetans detained for protesting against India-China talks - Mar 01, 2012
- 2010: Highlights of India-China ties (To go with 'Year of taming China dragon') - Dec 30, 2010
- Krishna to open new Indian embassy complex in Beijing - Feb 06, 2012
- India, China to discuss Hu's visit Thursday - Feb 29, 2012
- Hu arrives in India, to meet Manmohan - Mar 28, 2012
- Tibetans protest as India, China hold talks - Mar 01, 2012