PM to pay homage to last Mughal emperorMay 27th, 2012 - 5:17 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 27 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will pay homage at the mausoleum in Myanmar of Bahadur Shah Zafar, India’s last Mughal emperor who died in Yangon in 1862 after the British exiled him.
The prime minister will offer flowers and a ‘chadar’ at the Bahadur Shah Zafar Dargah in Dagon township in Yangon in the final leg of his three-day trip.
The site attracts a large number of Myanmar Muslims who believe their wishes will be fulfilled if they pray at the tomb.
Bahadur Shah Zafar, who is believed to have turned a saint during his stay at Yangon, was the figurehead of India’s first war of independence in 1857.
In 1858, he was exiled to Myanmar, then Burma, with his wife and some family members. He died Nov 7, 1862, at age 87.
His tomb, built decades after his death, is also home to the graves of his wife Zeenat Mahal and grand-daughter Raunaq Zamani.
The monument is managed by a Myanmar government-appointed committee.
External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna visited the site in June last year.
- Krishna pays homage at Bahadur Shah Zafar tomb (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- Where India's last Mughal emperor lies buried - May 29, 2012
- Krishna pays homage to Bahadur Shah Zafar - Jun 21, 2011
- Krishna opens rice silos in Myanmar for disaster relief - Jun 21, 2011
- Krishna wraps up Myanmar engagement; focus on capacity building (Roudnup) - Jun 22, 2011
- Why is Humayun's tomb on Obama's itinerary? - Nov 06, 2010
- Manmohan Singh in Myanmar: An Indian PM's visit after 25 years (Lead) - May 27, 2012
- India pledges Myanmar $10 mn, donates 10 rice silos (Second Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- India donates rice silos to Myanmar (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- Shah Jahan's 357th Urs celebrated at Taj Mahal - Jun 19, 2012
- Mughal emperor's poverty-stricken descendent to get a job - Jul 01, 2009
- PM's Myanmar agenda: Imphal-Mandalay bus link, trade (Lead) - May 24, 2012
- Vice President visits Bahadur Shah Zafars mausoleum in Myanmar - Feb 08, 2009
- Bharat Ratna demanded for Bahadur Shah Zafar - Jun 29, 2011
- Trade, connectivity top PM's Myanmar agenda - May 24, 2012
Tags: chadar, dargah, day trip, external affairs minister, figurehead, grand daughter, homage, krishna, last mughal, manmohan, manmohan singh, mausoleum, mughal emperor, myanmar government, New Delhi, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, shah zafar, war of independence, yangon