PM, Sonia discuss cabinet reshuffleJune 21st, 2011 - 8:01 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 21 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi held discussions for two hours here Tuesday, a party leader said, adding that issues related to a possible cabinet reshuffle next month also figured in the talks.
“It is only the first meeting. They are likely to hold several more discussions before the cabinet restructuring,” a party leader told IANS on condition of anonymity.
The two are likely to consider the feedback from government functionaries and party leaders on the performance of ministers in the coming days, sources added.
Current political developments, including those related to the anti-graft Lokpal bill and the Comptroller and Auditor General’s (CAG) draft report on alleged lapses linked to gas exploration in the Krishna Godavari basin, were also discussed, they said.
Consultations with the leaders of the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) constituent parties have also become necessary as some of the vacant cabinet births belonged to them, said sources.
DMK leader A. Raja resigned as communications minister in November 2010 in the wake of the 2G spectrum scam. Trinamool Congress leader Mamata Banerjee resigned as railway minister in May after being elected as West Bengal chief minister.
Consultations with UPA leaders were also lined up, they said.
According to sources, the prime minister and Gandhi were also likely to take a decision soon on appointment of new governors of Tamil Nadu and Rajasthan.
“There will be several meetings between the top two (Manmohan Singh and Gandhi). They will interact with other leaders like Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee and Defence Minister A.K. Antony to shape the new-look cabinet,” a party leader said.
“They are also likely to chalk out the strategy for the monsoon session of parliament beginning Aug 1,” he said.
- PM, Sonia discuss cabinet reshuffle (Lead, Superseding earlier story) - Jun 21, 2011
- PM meets Sonia, cabinet reshuffle likely next week - Jul 09, 2011
- Sonia meets PM to discuss reshuffle - Jul 11, 2011
- Manmohan Singh meets Sonia, cabinet reshuffle likely next week (Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
- PM meets Sonia, cabinet rejig likely in 3-4 days (Lead) - Jul 10, 2011
- PM meets Sonia, cabinet reshuffle likely next week (Second Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
- Congress core group meets ahead of UPA meeting - Dec 13, 2011
- Coming up, Manmohan-Sonia plan to rejuvenate UPA - May 29, 2011
- Congress, NCP stand-off ends with decision on better coordination (Roundup) - Jul 25, 2012
- Sonia meets PM over cabinet reshuffle (Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- Maran's resignation clears way for cabinet reshuffle - Jul 07, 2011
- Pawar meets Sonia to discuss 'coalition issues' - Jul 20, 2012
- Cabinet reshuffle likely Tuesday - Jul 11, 2011
- Deora offers to resign as minister (Lead) - Jul 05, 2011
- E. Ahamed likely to get cabinet rank soon - May 18, 2011
Tags: cabinet reshuffle, comptroller and auditor general, congress leader, congress president sonia gandhi, constituent parties, finance minister, godavari, krishna godavari basin, mamata banerjee, manmohan, manmohan singh, monsoon session, party leader, political developments, pranab mukherjee, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, railway minister, west bengal