PM reviews security after ISI warningMay 16th, 2011 - 3:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 16 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Monday met the three service chiefs to make a fresh assessment of the security situation, a day after Pakistan’s spy chief reportedly warned they had “identified targets” and carried out “rehearsal” for an attack on India.
At the meeting, also attended by Defence Minister A.K. Antony and National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon, Army Chief General V.K. Singh, Navy Chief Admiral Nirmal Verma and Air Force Chief Air Chief Marshal P.V. Naik briefed the prime minister about the preparedness of the armed forces.
The sources said the meeting had been scheduled earlier but the Pakistani threat was taken up.
The government’s stock-taking comes in the wake of the changing scenario in the neighbourhood following the killing of Al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden in the heart of Pakistan.
Osama, who evaded US-led forces for a decade, was shot dead May 2 by American commandos in a hideout close to Pakistan’s top military academy in Abbottabad, 50 km from Islamabad.
Monday’s meeting came a day after Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) chief Ahmed Shuja Pasha warned India that any Abbottabad-like attack by New Delhi would invite a fitting response as targets inside India had been “identified” and “rehearsals” carried out.
The meeting also assumes significance because it comes after a two-day visit by Manmohan Singh to Kabul last week.
The Indian Army has also raised its alertness level in the wake of reports that Pakistan may try to infiltrate militants into Jammu and Kashmir.
- PM reviews security threat from Pakistan, China (Lead) - May 16, 2011
- Unified commanders meet to debate security threats - May 19, 2011
- World not buying Pakistan's bellicosity: Congress - May 16, 2011
- India, US to begin internal security dialogue, talk terror - May 25, 2011
- Pakistan gets new ISI chief, air chief (Second Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- 'Pakistan was in the dark on Osama raid' - Jul 26, 2011
- India capable of doing an Abbottabad, but show restraint: Experts - May 08, 2011
- ISI chief to visit US - Jul 13, 2011
- Pakistan's role in war on terror should not be doubted: Kayani - May 05, 2011
- Pakistan may shoot down US drones if allowed: Air force chief - May 14, 2011
- Gilani criticised over Laden comment - Dec 25, 2011
- US to restore military aid to Pakistan? (Lead) - Jul 17, 2011
- ISI has political wing, admits minister - Mar 13, 2012
- ISI chief leaves for Washington for day's visit (Second Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
- Indian PM wraps up Kabul visit - May 13, 2011
Tags: air chief marshal, air force chief, army chief, chief general, defence minister, fitting response, indian army, inter services, isi chief, jammu and kashmir, manmohan, manmohan singh, menon, national security advisor, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, service chiefs, shuja, spy chief, stock taking