PM releases journal on Kashmiri sufi saintsOctober 7th, 2008 - 12:44 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 6 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Monday released a biannual journal on Kashmiri sufi saints brought out by the Rumi Foundation here.Manmohan Singh said Indian civilisation had survived through thousands and thousands of years because of the “underlying commitment of our forefathers to the ideas of tolerance and respect for diversity”.
“I often wonder what is it that we have a living civilization of thousands and thousands of years and that it still survives several onslaughts,” he said.
“I think tolerance is what has sustained our civilisation and Sufism is a supplanted manifestation of that commitment to tolerance. Therefore it does not behove any one of us to find fault with the rest of us,” the prime minister said.
It was the third volume of the journal of the Rumi Foundation that he released.
- 'Sufis of Punjab' - Building bridges across borders (IANS Book Review) - Aug 30, 2011
- Sufism binds millions of hearts in subcontinent: Abida Parveen - Feb 28, 2012
- Amir Khusrau's legacy to come alive again (With image) - Feb 27, 2011
- Ajmer set to host first global Sufi fest - Sep 22, 2011
- Bansal offers chadar at Ajmer on PM's behalf - Apr 08, 2012
- Muslim youth in India dissociate from terror: Sufi cleric - Apr 24, 2012
- Zardari arrives in Ajmer, heads for dargah - Apr 08, 2012
- Annual Urs of Hazrat Shah Asrar celebrated with religious fervor in J-K - Nov 14, 2010
- Didn't behove of Mamata to suggest Manmohan's name: Congress - Jun 14, 2012
- UAE's First Indian Music Choir To Revive The Legendary Sufi Saints - Jun 22, 2010
- Uphold Islamic tradition of peace in Kashmir: clerics - Apr 24, 2011
- Manmohan Singh sends his offerings to Sufi saint's shrine - Jun 15, 2010
- NCTC isn't state versus centre issue: PM - May 05, 2012
- Bollywood takes liberty with Sufi music: Hans Raj Hans - Oct 12, 2009
- Ajmer shrine authorities mum on Zardari visit - Apr 03, 2012