PM indicates cabinet reshuffle, mum on timingJune 24th, 2012 - 12:49 am ICT by IANS
On Board Air India One, June 23 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has indicated a cabinet reshuffle but declined any comment on its timing, or who will replace Pranab Mukherjee as finance minister.
“I think that’s a legitimate expectation,” he told the accompanying media delegation to the G20 and Rio+20 summits to Mexico and Brazil, on his way back to New Delhi Saturday when asked he wished to reshuffle his cabinet.
“You will get to know about it when it takes place,” he added, when also queried if more parties were set to formally join the United Progressive Alliance in the near future.
The prime minister said he has been thinking about who will take over the finance portfolio from Mukherjee, now that he is expected to shift from the North Block to Rashtrapati Bhavan.
“I have been churning it in my mind,” the prime minister said.
“Quite honestly I have a number of issues which I have to resolve. It will not be proper for me to announce while I am outside the country. When the decision is taken, you will get to know about it.”
(Arvind Padmanabhan can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Trinamool 'still' part of coalition: PM - Jun 24, 2012
- Chidambaram gets finance again, Shinde becomes home minister (Second Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Last reshuffle before 2014 polls, balance maintained: PM (Lead) - Jul 12, 2011
- Portfolio reshuffle in Delhi cabinet - Aug 28, 2012
- Congress disapproves Kamat's resignation (Lead) - Jul 14, 2011
- PM assures growth, reforms, stable rupee - Jun 24, 2012
- Manmohan forms new Team to run India, Kamat quits (Roundup) - Jul 12, 2011
- Chidambaram gets finance again, Shinde becomes home minister (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- More consultations on Telangana: PM - Jan 20, 2011
- Occupy Wall Street protests a warning: PM - Oct 20, 2011
- Rekindling hopes: Manmohan signals a course correction (News Analysis) - Jul 01, 2012
- Policy soon on pricing 84 natural resources - Sep 04, 2011
- Pranab resigns, PM keeps finance ministry (Third Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Capital flows no problem yet for India: PM - Nov 13, 2010
- Pranab Mukherjee: Politician nonpareil becomes constitutional guardian (Profile) - Jun 15, 2012
Tags: air india, arvind, brazil, cabinet reshuffle, delegation, finance minister, finance portfolio, g20, june 23, legitimate expectation, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, padmanabhan, pranab mukherjee, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, rio, summits