PM has his first official engagement after surgeryMarch 4th, 2009 - 3:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 4 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had his first official engagement Wednesday in more than a month after his heart bypass surgery. He met the visiting Benin President Boni Yayi at his 7 Race Course Road residence here.
Manmohan Singh’s meeting with the African head of state lasted for over 30 minutes where a wide range of bilateral and global issues were discussed. The talks will be followed by the signing of some economy-related agreements, officials said.
“He (Singh) was at ease and looked cheerful when he met Benin’s president,” said a prime ministerial aide.
Benin is an ethnically diverse West African country that is opening up its economy to attract more foreign investment.
The prime minister is expected to return to his routine official work in a week or so but questions persist on whether he will be able to plunge headlong into an electoral campaign in the heat of summer. Lok Sabha polls are scheduled over five phases from April 16 to May 13.
Manmohan Singh was hospitalised Jan 24 following chest pain. He returned home Feb 1 after a coronary bypass surgery and has been convalescing since then.
- Manmohan Singhs first official engagement after surgery today - Mar 03, 2009
- PM back in business, braces for Africa diplomacy Wednesday - Mar 03, 2009
- India, Benin sign five agreements - Mar 04, 2009
- Manmohan Singhs first official meet with Benin President after surgery today - Mar 04, 2009
- India donates ambulances to Benin, becomes largest foreign market - Mar 16, 2011
- Prime Minister to hold first post-surgery official meet on Wednesday - Mar 03, 2009
- PM meets children on Prophet's birthday - Mar 10, 2009
- Ethiopian PM misses AU summit, health rumours float - Jul 17, 2012
- PM to press for resolute action on eurozone crisis (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- PM undergoes routine health checkup at AIIMS - Jan 31, 2010
- Gilani meets Nawaz Sharif in London - Apr 09, 2011
- PM arrives in Amritsar; to pray at Golden Temple Sunday (Lead) - Dec 31, 2011
- Mumbai heart hospital ranked safest in world - Jun 08, 2012
- Namibian president coming to India, business high on agenda - Aug 28, 2009
- South Africa's Dlamini-Zuma first woman to win AU's top job - Jul 16, 2012