PM expresses concern over killings of northeast journalistsNovember 24th, 2008 - 10:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 24 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has expressed “grave concern” over the recent killings of two journalists in Assam and Manipur. “The prime minister has spoken to the chief ministers of both the states, advising them to take immediate steps for prompt and fair investigations into the killings,” an official statement Monday said.
“The prime minister also asked the chief ministers to take adequate measures to ensure the security and safety of all journalists and newsmen in their states,” the statement added.
Unidentified gunmen Saturday shot journalist Jagajit Saikia in Kokrajhar town in Assam. Earlier in the week, assailants gunned down sub-editor Konsam Rishikanta in Imphal.
- Assam journalist killed by gunmen on motorcycle - Nov 22, 2008
- Media rights group seeks CBI probe into Assam scribe's killing - Nov 25, 2008
- Terror groups, state infringing media freedom in northeast - Mar 15, 2010
- Nine killed in communal clashes in Assam's Kokrajhar - Jul 21, 2012
- Newspaper strike in Manipur over journalist's murder - Nov 19, 2008
- Assam toll rises to 14, army called in (Third Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Blast in Imphal, two troopers injured (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Tension in Assam, PM may visit Saturday, toll 41 (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Assam toll rises to 12, army called in (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- More paramilitary forces readied for Assam - Jul 28, 2012
- Blast near government office in Imphal - Sep 14, 2012
- Uneasy calm in Assam, violence toll 40 - Jul 26, 2012
- IFJ flays Assam editor's murder (Lead) - Mar 26, 2009
- PM likely to visit violence-hit Assam districts - Jul 26, 2012
- Grenade hurled at Congress MP's house in Manipur, fails to explode - Sep 21, 2012