PM condoles Manjit Bawa’s deathDecember 29th, 2008 - 10:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 29 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Monday extended his condolences and expressed his deep grief at the demise of eminent painter Manjit Bawa.“The prime minister extends his condolences to the bereaved members of the Bawa’s family,” a statement issued here said.
The prime minster also recognized Bawa’s contribution to Indian art.
“Bawa brought Sufi sensibilities to contemporary Indian art. His depiction of idyllic scenes of love and use of vibrant colours earned for him a special place in the art world. His contribution to Indian art will be long remembered,” the statement said.
Bawa, 67, died in the national capital early Monday after a prolonged illness.
Born in Dhuri in Punjab in 1941, Bawa studied at the College of Art in New Delhi. He obtained a diploma in silk screen printing from the London School of Printing, Essex. Bawa also worked as silk screen painter in London from 1967 to 1971.
- Artist Manjit Bawa dead after three years in coma (Lead) - Dec 29, 2008
- Manjit Bawa's canvas - a contrast of serenity and violence - Dec 22, 2010
- Manjit Bawa: Man of many colours beats a silent retreat (Tribute) (With Images) - Dec 29, 2008
- Ghazal loses its soulful king in Jagjit Singh (Roundup) - Oct 10, 2011
- A mega tribute to M.F. Husain planned in capital (With Image) - Jun 25, 2011
- National leaders condole Dara Singh's death (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- Encounters with Husain, Pyne, Bawa...An art critic remembers (With Image) - Feb 19, 2012
- Bollywood mourns Vilasrao Deshmukh - Aug 14, 2012
- PM mourns painter Tyeb Mehta's death - Jul 02, 2009
- India-born professor donates sustainability award money - May 11, 2012
- India has lost an iconic artist: PM (Lead) - Jun 09, 2011
- M.F. Husain 'Through The Eyes Of A Painter' (Chronology) - Jun 09, 2011
- India PM condoles Saudi prince's death - Jun 17, 2012
- PM condoles Sivakasi fire victims - Sep 05, 2012
- PM announces Rs.1 lakh for kin of Leh cloudburst victims (Lead) - Aug 06, 2010