PM condoles demise of Dorjee KhanduMay 5th, 2011 - 3:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 5 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Thursday condoled the death of Arunachal Pradesh chief minister Dorjee Khandu in a helicopter crash, saying the country had lost an experienced and able leader who spent long years in dedicated public service.
In his condolence message to Dorjee’s wife Rinchin Drema, Manmohan Singh said: “I learnt with great sadness of the tragic demise of your husband Dorjee Khandu, chief minister of Arunachal Pradesh. He was a veteran politician of Arunachal Pradesh who worked tirelessly to promote the interests of the state.”
“He spent his early career in grass-root activities among the people of Tawang district. He was elected unopposed to the first Legislative Assembly of the State of Arunachal Pradesh in 1990 and continuously served the same constituency since then,” he said.
Praising the work of Dorjee, the prime minister said that he worked for Arunachal Pradesh’s development with dynamism and energy, while holding a number of cabinet positions in the state government.
“Khandu worked hard for the development of Arunachal Pradesh and served the state with distinction after being appointed as chief minister,” he added.
Khandu was in a Pawan Hans chopper, with two pilots and two other passengers on board, that went missing Saturday. Its wreckage was found Wednesday near the Jang waterfalls in Tawang district of Arunachal Pradesh, exactly 96 hours after it lost contact with the ground. All the five passengers were declared dead.
Khandu’s funeral will take place Friday in Tawang, his home district.
- President, PM condole death of Dorjee Khandu (Lead) - May 05, 2011
- Arunachal chief minister's death mourned - May 04, 2011
- Krishna condoles Khandu's demise - May 04, 2011
- Congress Working Committee condoles Dorjee Khandu's death - May 05, 2011
- Dorjee Khandu's body being brought to Itanagar - May 05, 2011
- Wreckage of helicopter carrying Arunachal CM found - May 04, 2011
- We lost dear friend Khandu, say Tibetans - May 06, 2011
- Arunachal saddened over untimely demise of Chief Minister Khandu - May 04, 2011
- Khandu's death: Arunachal announces seven-day state mourning - May 05, 2011
- Krishna condoles demise of Arunachal CM Khandu - May 04, 2011
- Bodies of Arunachal CM Khandu, 4 others taken to Tawang - May 05, 2011
- Three bodies seen at crash site in Lobothang: Chidamabaram - May 04, 2011
- Five bodies, wreckage of Dorjee Khandu's chopper found (Second Lead) - May 04, 2011
- Committed to Khandu's dream of developed Arunachal: PM (Lead) - May 06, 2011
- Dalai Lama saddened over Khandu's death - May 07, 2011
Tags: cabinet positions, chief minister, chopper, condolence message, constituency, drema, dynamism, grass root, helicopter crash, legislative assembly, manmohan, manmohan singh, pawan hans, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, state of arunachal pradesh, tragic demise, veteran politician, waterfalls, wreckage