PM condoles deaths in Myanmar quake, offers helpMarch 26th, 2011 - 9:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 26 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Saturday mourned the loss of lives in an earthquake that hit Myanmar Thursday night and offered help in the rescue and relief efforts.
“I am deeply saddened to learn of the severe earthquake that struck Myanmar on March 24 causing loss of lives and damage to property. On behalf of the people and Government of India, I convey my heartfelt condolences to the people and Government of Myanmar on this tragic natural disaster,” Singh said in a message to General Than Shwe, chairman of State Peace and Development council of Myanmar.
“I take this opportunity to convey, through you, our deepest sympathies to members of the bereaved families and others affected by the earthquake. As your government rallies to provide relief and other assistance to people in the earthquake affected region, I would like to assure you that India stands ready to render any assistance that your government may require of us,” he added.
Myanmar was hit by a 6.8 magnitude earthquake in which at least 74 people were reported killed and over 100 others injured.
India enjoys strong bilateral ties with Myanmar that is ruled by a military junta.
- Manmohan Singh condoles loss of lives in Myanmar earthquake - Mar 26, 2011
- India promises $1 million for Myanmar quake relief - Mar 29, 2011
- India provides assistance of US one million dollar to Myanmar for earthquake relief - Mar 29, 2011
- India offers help to quake-hit Myanmar - Mar 26, 2011
- PM expresses shock over US gurudwara killing - Aug 06, 2012
- India conveys deep condolences, offers assistance to quake-hit Myanmar - Mar 25, 2011
- India offers help to Japan, Indians safe (Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- India offers help to tsunami-hit Japan (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- PM condoles deaths in Tamil Nadu train fire (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- ASEAN offers help to quake-hit Japan - Mar 12, 2011
- India condoles Japan quake victims, 25,000 Indians safe - Mar 11, 2011
- Gilani condoles deaths in Mangalore crash - May 22, 2010
- Indian parliament pays tribute to tsunami victims (Lead) - Mar 14, 2011
- Japan thanks India for tsunami-related aid - Mar 24, 2011
- Dalai Lama offers Rs.500,000 for quake relief - Sep 20, 2011
Tags: bereaved families, bilateral ties, deaths, deepest sympathies, government of india, government of myanmar, government rallies, heartfelt condolences, magnitude earthquake, manmohan, manmohan singh, military junta, natural disaster, New Delhi, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, quake, relief efforts, state peace, thursday night