PM condoles artist Serbjeet Singh’s deathAugust 29th, 2009 - 9:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 29 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Saturday condoled the death of artist Serbjeet Singh, calling him “a painter of Himalayan landscapes”.
“An artist without any formal training, he became famous as a painter of Himalayan landscapes. His paintings were part of many private collections, including that of (former prime minister) Indira Gandhi. His landscapes of Ladakh and Nepal Himalayas adorn the Raj Bhavan of many states.
“I hope god gives his family the strength to bear the loss,” the prime minister said in a statement Saturday.
Serbjeet Singh passed away Friday. He was 84.
His paintings are also in the permanent collection of the National Gallery of Modern Art and the Deutsche Museum of Germany. Himachal Pradesh has set aside a special wing in the state museum for his paintings.
- A burnt classic Chinese painting reunited after 360 years - Jun 02, 2011
- London's V&A; Museum showcases Tagore, Kalighat paintings - Oct 18, 2011
- Sabavala death second great loss to Indian art - Sep 03, 2011
- Amitabh mourns Husain's death, remembers his 'sanjeevani booti' painting - Jun 09, 2011
- Kolkata prison first to house permanent art gallery - Feb 19, 2012
- No inventory of Roerich's paintings, says trust member - Oct 10, 2011
- Jorasanko Thakurbari - where every corner tells Tagore story (Feature) - May 08, 2010
- Snapshots of 19th century Bengal in paintings of Kalighat (With Images) - Apr 19, 2012
- Sohan Qadri leaves behind rich legacy in tantrik art (Obituary) - Mar 05, 2011
- Shimla's museum to showcase miniature paintings - Apr 20, 2012
- India first global venue for rare Russian winter art (With Images) - Mar 11, 2010
- Mohan Khokar collection to bring alive century of Indian dance (With Image) - Jul 16, 2011
- Rare retrospective of a Kashmiri artist in capital - Jan 06, 2012
- I am still to be successful as a painter: Shuvaprasanna (Interview) - Jun 19, 2011
- Heritage Indian instruments retrieved from obscurity - Dec 18, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,