PM condemns Afghan leader Rabbani’s ’senseless’ killingSeptember 21st, 2011 - 4:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 21 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Wednesday condoled the death of Afghan leader Burhanuddin Rabbani, killed in a suicide blast at his house in Kabul Tuesday, and described it as a “senseless act of terrorism”.
In a letter to Afghan President Hamid Karzai, Singh said the best tribute the people of Afghanistan could pay to the departed leader was to carry on with the task he had begun: securing a peaceful and safe future for the people of Afghanistan.
Former Afghan president Rabbani headed a government peace council set up to broker peace with the Taliban.
In a statement, before leaving on a six-day visit to participate in the 66th session of the United Nations General Assembly, Singh said: “It is with great shock and sadness that I have learnt of the tragic death of professor Burhanuddin Rabbani.
“This is a senseless act of terrorism, which the government and people of India condemn,” the statement said.
Recalling his two meetings with the former Afghan president, Singh said he “fondly” remembered his two meetings with him — in Kabul in May 2011 and in New Delhi in July 2011.
He said, during their meetings, Rabbani shared with him “his vision of peace and reconciliation in Afghanistan”.
“Please accept my deepest condolences on the tragic loss. I wish to assure your excellency that India stands by you and the people of Afghanistan in this hour,” he said.
- India blames 'forces of terror' for Rabbani killing - Sep 20, 2011
- Obama meets Karzai - Sep 21, 2011
- Khurshid represents India at prayers for Rabbani - Sep 24, 2011
- Gilani condoles Rabbani's killing - Sep 22, 2011
- UNSC condemns former Afghan president's killing - Sep 22, 2011
- Former Afghan president Rabbani killed in blast - Sep 20, 2011
- Pakistan offers Afghanistan intelligence in Rabbani's killing - Oct 11, 2011
- Peaceful Afghanistan critical for Pakistan: Gilani - Feb 01, 2012
- Extradite people involved in Rabbani's killing : Afghanistan to Pakistan - Oct 03, 2011
- Khar to visit Afghanistan Wednesday - Jan 31, 2012
- Rabbani's killing reminder of dangers to Afghan peace: Manmohan - Sep 24, 2011
- Karzai condemns, US saddened over Afghan killings (Second Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- India, Afghanistan to jointly combat terror (Lead) - Feb 03, 2011
- Karzai to brief India on new Taliban strategy - Oct 03, 2011
- Karzai makes implicit criticism of Pakistan - Oct 04, 2011
Tags: afghan president hamid karzai, burhanuddin rabbani, deepest condolences, hamid karzai, kabul, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, peace and reconciliation, peace council, people of afghanistan, president hamid karzai, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, sadness, senseless act, senseless killing, tragic death, tragic loss, united nations general assembly