PM chairs high-level security meetAugust 1st, 2009 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 1 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Saturday chaired a high-level meeting of the National Security Council (NSC) to discuss the situation arising out of intelligence alerts over possible terror threats from the sea route.
He also laid emphasis on coastal security and curbing infiltration in the northeast to strengthen the country’s security.
The government has been emphasising proper coordination among the navy, the coast guard and the police for strengthening security along the country’s 7,500 km-long coastline, dotted with 12 major ports and 180 minor ports.
The over two-hour long meeting, attended by the country’s top security officials, also discussed the security situation in Jammu and Kashmir in the wake of the ongoing Amarnath Yatra, said a home ministry official.
“The meeting was held amid the government’s efforts to identify new threats and review the existing security measures,” said an official
The meeting, held at the prime minister’s residence, was attended by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, Defence Minister A.K. Antony, Home Minister P Chidambaram, National Security Advisor M.K. Narayanan and new Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao.
The three service chiefs were also prsent.
- Terrorists can still strike the through sea: PM - Sep 08, 2012
- Manmohan Singh reviews security preparedness - Aug 01, 2009
- PM reviews security situation, discusses AfPak - Jun 08, 2011
- Top naval commanders review coastal security, anti-piracy operations - May 24, 2011
- Without UN effort, piracy elimination difficult: India - Jun 27, 2011
- Kashmir, Maoist violence top agenda at internal security meet - Aug 22, 2010
- Antony sets two-month deadline for coastal radars (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Antony sets two-month deadline for coastal radars - Aug 02, 2012
- Internal security meet to discuss Kashmir, Maoist violence - Aug 24, 2010
- Chidambaram chairs security meeting in Srinagar (Second Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- Op Geronimo aftermath: India conducts security review - May 12, 2011
- Commanders to debate battle readiness, security threats - Apr 20, 2011
- BJP raps government on Amarnath Yatra decision - May 16, 2012
- Home secretary to attend SAARC security conference - Jul 20, 2011
- Home secretary to attend SAARC security conference (Lead) - Jul 20, 2011
Tags: amarnath, finance minister, home minister, home ministry, jammu and kashmir, manmohan singh, minor ports, narayanan, national security advisor, national security council, nirupama, p chidambaram, pranab mukherjee, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, proper coordination, sea route, security measures, service chiefs, strengthening security