PM calls all-party meeting on Jammu situationAugust 4th, 2008 - 11:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 4 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has convened an all-party meeting on Wednesday on the worsening situation in Jammu where agitation over the issue of transferring land to the Amarnath temple trust has led to violent clashes and curfew in several towns for several weeks. Meanwhile, a high-level central government team arrived in Jammu to make an assessment of the situation on the directions of the Prime Minister’s Office.
Home Secretary Madhukar Gupta and Defence Secretary Vijay Singh held detailed discussions over the situation in Jammu, where the people have been defying curfews, army flag marches and even police firing to hold demonstrations to demand that land be restored to the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board.
The protests in Jammu region have left seven people dead and several hundreds injured, and life was paralysed amid curfews and shutdowns.
Congress chief Sonia Gandhi Sunday night discussed with Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) president Rajnath Singh the situation in Jammu, Congress sources said. Gandhi, who called up Singh over telephone, urged him to ask BJP cadre to help restore peace in Jammu and also not to politicise the issue, the party sources added.
- Sonia speaks to Rajnath on Jammu protests - Aug 04, 2008
- Jaspal Rana quits BJP, joins Congress - Jan 10, 2012
- All party meeting on Kashmir Monday - Jul 12, 2010
- Rajnath Singh backs farmers, sits on daylong fast - May 12, 2011
- Advani speaks to PM on Jaitley, Sushma - Jan 25, 2011
- Congress core group on Kashmir discusses Eid package - Sep 10, 2010
- Consensus on AFSPA unlikely at all-party meeting - Sep 15, 2010
- PM, opposition leaders greet Sonia on 65th birthday - Dec 09, 2011
- CCS may discuss Kashmir Eid package Saturday (Lead) - Sep 10, 2010
- Farooq Abdullah meets PM, Sonia ahead of all-party team visit to Kashmir - Sep 16, 2010
- Protesters-CRPF clash as traders threaten ban amid Amarnath land row - Aug 06, 2008
- Opposition insists on FDI rollback ahead of all-party meet (Roundup) - Dec 06, 2011
- Congress discusses Kashmir, all-party team visit likely Monday (Lead) - Sep 16, 2010
- All-party meet today on Amarnath land transfer row - Aug 06, 2008
- BJP's actions matter of shame, irresponsible: Gandhi - Aug 28, 2012