PM briefed about Agni-V, India’s future missile programmeApril 21st, 2012 - 8:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 21 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was Saturday briefed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) chief V.K. Saraswat on the launch of India’s nuclear capable long-range missile Agni-V that was successfully test fired Thursday.
Saraswat, the key scientist in India’s missile programme and one of the main brains behind the Agni series of weapons, also apprised the prime minister about India’s future missile development programme, DRDO officials said.
The meeting between Manmohan Singh and Saraswat, who is also the chief scientific advisor to Defence Minister A.K. Antony, lasted for about 30 minutes.
Saraswat was accompanied by Agni project director Avinash Chandra, who has been involved in the development and successful launch of the series of missiles.
Capable of hitting targets 5,000 km away, Agni-V was launched from an island in Odisha that put India into an elite club of nations which have the capabilities to fire missiles at such a long distance.
Buoyed by the success of the long-range ballistic missile, Saraswat Friday said the DRDO will not “cap” its three-decade-old programme and continue to develop more missiles in the series with modern and latest technologies.
- India creates history, tests 5,000 km Agni-V missile (Second Lead) - Apr 19, 2012
- 5,000-km Agni-V missile propels India into elite club (Afternoon Lead) - Apr 19, 2012
- PM hails Agni-V milestone - Apr 19, 2012
- No cap on Agni missile project: India - Apr 20, 2012
- Agni-V test likely in a month - Feb 28, 2012
- 5,000-km Agni-V missile test in February - Nov 16, 2011
- India tests 5,000-km range Agni-V missile (Lead) - Apr 19, 2012
- India test-fires 5,000 km Agni-V missile, China cautious (Roundup) - Apr 19, 2012
- Beijing downplays India's missile launch - Apr 19, 2012
- BJP hails Agni-5 launch as proud milestone - Apr 19, 2012
- PM lists Agni-V missile, Risat satellite as achievements - May 22, 2012
- Indian missile test makes a splash in Pakistani websites - Apr 19, 2012
- 'Rocket Woman' propels India's missile mission - Nov 21, 2011
- 'Nuclear-capable Agni-V to be tested soon' - Jan 15, 2012
- Agni-V, Risat launches UPA achievements: PM (Lead) - May 22, 2012
Tags: antony, avinash, chandra, defence minister, defence research, development organisation, drdo, elite club, launch, manmohan, manmohan singh, missile development, missiles, New Delhi, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, project director, range ballistic missile, range missile, saraswat