PM asks Patil, Ramadoss to resolve gay issueOctober 16th, 2008 - 9:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 16 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has asked Home Minister Shivraj Patil and Health Minister Anbumani Ramadoss to sit together to resolve the controversy over removing a penal provision against homosexuality.The matter was taken up in the cabinet meeting Thursday where the prime minister asked the two ministers to resolve the matter, which is being heard in the Delhi High Court.
“The prime minister has directed the two ministers to sit together and discuss the matter and sort out their differences,” Science and Technology Minister Kapil Sibal told reporters after a cabinet meeting presided over by the prime minister.
He said the cabinet had deferred a decision on the matter. “Whatever the court decides, we will agree,” Sibal added.
The issue has been mired in controversy ever since a public suit was filed in 2001 challenging the legality of section 377 of the Indian Penal Code, which bans sexual relations among people of the same gender and considers it “unnatural”.
The issue came up in the cabinet a day after the Delhi High Court pulled up the government for relying on religious texts to justify the prohibition of sex among people of the same gender. The court asked the government to come up with scientific reports to validate their contentions.
Ramadoss has been in favour of legalising homosexuality as a step in the war against HIV/AIDS as the gay population is considered to be one of the vulnerable sections to get infected with the dreaded condition.
The home ministry has been opposing this on the ground that homosexuality is a “criminal offence” and removing the penal clause would “disturb the law and order situation and create unnecessary problems in society”.
After the home ministry told the court it should ignore Ramadoss’s views, the health minister had said he would take up the matter with the prime minister.
- Activists slam government's stand on gay sex - Feb 23, 2012
- Government's flip-flop on gay sex ban (Roundup) - Feb 23, 2012
- Homosexuality, lesbian relationships unnatural, SC told (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Government disowns remarks on gays (Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- Don't decriminalise gay sex: Home ministry - Feb 23, 2012
- Scope of penal provision on gay sex wide: SC - Feb 16, 2012
- Outdated law 'major obstacle' in tackling AIDS: UNAIDS official - Nov 17, 2008
- Homosexuality, lesbian relationships unnatural, SC told - Feb 15, 2012
- Government undecided on plea against legalising gay sex (Lead) - Sep 10, 2009
- Government disowns remarks on gays - Mar 21, 2012
- Scope of penal provision on gay sex wide: SC (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- Supreme Court defers hearing on decriminalisation of gay sex - Apr 19, 2011
- Health minister non-committal on backing homosexuals (Lead) - Jun 29, 2009
- Cabinet to discuss court ruling on gay sex: PM - Jul 11, 2009
- Supreme Court to hear pleas against gay sex in April (Lead) - Feb 07, 2011